Chapter Seven

"Manik, I said shhh. Mauli, you tell us. Don't listen to him." Nandini shushed him in her ever so bossy tone and everyone giggled seeing Manik's mouth wide open. Their friend was complying.

Kunal saw everyone enjoying but he couldn't force himself to smile even, when danger hovered his best friend's breaths. The phone call was from the police station. There were chances that the accident was planned. Looking at Nandini's smiling face, he prayed to keep her safe.

His first thought was to inform his dad about it but knowing he won't keep such information from Ram, Kunal was in a dilemma. Ram would take back Nandini to Delhi, with immediate effect.

"Kunal, your friend is after my life man. Ye aisi hi thi ya sar pr chott lagne ka asar hai." Manik blabbered, fussing over Nandini's curiosity to know his first encounter with Mauli. It wasn't exactly embarrassing on his part but the way his friends react to it always leave him flustered.

Kunal stared at Manik flatly. Manik frowned at his blank look. The guy always had a smile on his face.

"Kunal, where are you lost? Is everything okay?" Manik asked with concerned lines on his forehead. Others looked at them and the air turned serious. Kunal rubbed his face and gave a small nod. Contemplating, he looked back at Manik and wondered if he could be the one to hear his worries. Manik was a smart guy who has a practical approach to things. He trusted him enough to share it.

"Actually, my friend needs help so I'll have to go meet him. Can you come with me?"

"Which friend?" Nandini asked. She was acquainted to almost all his friends.

"Business associate Nandu, you don't know him." Kunal fibbed passing a pale smile.

"But is it necessary to go right now?" Nandini asked sadly. She was hell excited to know the story, Cabir had created a hype of.

"The work is urgent Nandu." Kunal stated, ignoring her sullen look.

"We'll come soon." Manik said and bailed Kunal out. The stress was clear as day in Kunal's demeanour.

They reached the parking area while Manik waited patiently for Kunal to open up. The guy already looked troubled. "You don't want to ask anything?" Kunal broke the silence when Manik opened the passenger door to settle in.

"You want to tell something?" Manik questioned back calmly. It's not always easy to share and they had just got to know each other.

"I want your help." Kunal started hesitatingly.

"Not in Mauli's case." Manik replied acting to be scared, just to lighten the mood.

Kunal chuckled softly. "No. It's about Nandini."

Her name added with Kunal's tensed expressions alarmed him. He shut the door and turned towards him asking, "What about her? Was the phone call about her?"

Nodding at his question, Kunal apprised him of the situation. Manik was shocked. He had thought the accident to be another usual hit and run case. This came unexpected. Nandini's life was at risk. A tremble travelled through his spine. Who would want to harm her?

"You should inform Mr. Kapoor, Kunal. It's serious." Manik said instantly. He frowned when silence greeted him. What was so difficult about it, that made Kunal hesitant?

"Manik, it's not as simple as it sounds. Ram uncle's reactions always come extreme when Nandu is concerned. He'll take her back to Delhi and she will have to leave her job. She has just started." Kunal shared with unease.

"How will that solve the problem? Her life will still be in danger and he cannot put her to house arrest for life. Delhi or Mumbai, the culprit needs to be arrested. It could be one of Mr. Kapoor's business rival, as you said business threats are common for him." Manik uttered, perplexed by Ram's line of action in a difficult situation. Is the man always impulsive or Nandini's involvement play with his fears?