|Prologue|

An eight year old boy was standing, watching his father's pyre turning into ashes, and crying hysterically over the loss.

His mother was standing behind him, weeping silently holding her one year old daughter close to her heart who was sleeping, oblivious to her surroundings.

Their world crumbled down as the pillar of the family, their hero left this world leaving a void in their heart which can never be fulfilled. He sacrificed his life fighting for the country on the borders and his body wrapped in the tricolor was respectfully handed over to the family.

After the last rituals were done, people were leaving giving condolences to the family, their eyes held pity and sympathy for the lady who lost her husband at such a young age, and for the children who became fatherless.

The lady understood how she and her children will be looked down in the society and hence decided to stand strong for her children's future. It was her turn now to make her husband proud.

The boy was silently sitting on the bed holding his sleeping sister on his lap, reminiscing the memories of the time he had spent with his father.

He vowed to himself to become the big boy his father always wanted him to be, and fulfill his promise of protecting his sister and mother, which he did to him.

"I'm a big boy papa, and I promise to protect mumma and princess, just the way you did, just the way I'd promised you." The boy said talking to his father's picture and rubbing his tears harshly, trying to be strong.

"You know papa, a lady was cursing mumma, blaming her for your death. She said we are orphans and unlucky. This is wrong, nah?? Why didn't mumma say anything to her? You would've scolded that lady for sure. Please come back papa!! I will never be angry at you again, for coming late. Please papa!!" The boy broke down and was embraced by his mother who was listening to her son's plea standing near the door.

"I miss him mumma, I miss him so much, unhe bolo na wapas aane ko. Please pleasee!", mumbled the boy hugging her mother tightly as she will also go away leaving him alone.

The lady patted his back, letting him cry and pecked his head a few times. He looked up at his mother pulling himself out of the warmth, his eyes shedded tears as they blinked.

"Manik! Your father is still with us. Here!" His mother palmed his heart and continued, "He is looking at us and must be sad to see his champ crying. Do you want that?"

He nodded in no, wiping away his tears. "Your father wants us to be strong, to take care of ourselves and be happy. It will make him happy too. Can we do that?" She asked again. He thought about his mother's words and bobbed his head making her smile.

"I love you mumma and princess too." He confessed and kissed his sister's cheek who pouted, still sleeping. They both chuckled at her cuteness, smiling amidst the tears and vowing to be each other's strength.

_________

A six year old girl was playing in the rain with his father and was giggling loudly.

"Catch me Pa!" She teased her father who was walking slowly, only to listen to more of her carefree laughter.

Her mother was watching the father daughter duo playing, sitting under the shade of their huge garden, holding her two year old son who was trying to get rid of his mother's hold and join his father and sister in the rain.

"Nandini! Come back baby." The girl looked at her mother with puppy eyes, requesting to let her play more.

"Please mumma!!" The girl and the man pleaded in unison and the lady sighed, losing again in front of these stubborn and the cutest father-daughter duo.

The little boy finally won, and ran towards the duo leaving his mother alone, sulking.

"Join us Priya!" Ram smiled at his wife dancing in the rain. The family enjoyed to their heart's content.

"Caught you princess, hahaa! Come'on lets go inside." Ram scooped Nandini who pouted in annoyance, as she wanted to play more. Ram bounced her off in the air making her giggle.

________