Chapter Eight

Manik was going towards the OPD section when he saw Kunal standing there and busy on his phone. His own mobile vibrated displaying Kunal's name.

He simply went to him and tapped his shoulder. Kunal turned around and disconnected the call. "Manik! I was looking for you. Nandini had an appointment today. Her plaster had to be removed. Aditya is nowhere so will you check her?"

Kunal was visibly tensed as there wasn't much progress in the case. The car has vanished from the earth leaving no trail behind. He couldn't trust any stranger near Nandini.

"Sure, I will. Any updates on the case?"

Kunal just shook his head and Manik held back from probing. He could see Kunal stressed. He didn't support Kunal's decision of hiding the information but he couldn't blame him either when the latter genuinely cared for his best friend. Nandini was lucky.

"Don't worry she is safe here. I'll go and check. Relax!" Manik assured him patting his shoulder and went towards the examination room making him sigh in relief.

"Oyee Kunal, what are you doing here?",asked Mauli coming from behind and saw him standing there alone. He turned around and smiled for her.

They were friends now. Kunal with a brave heart had started the conversation with an apology for judging her in the incident with Manik when he said she must have been troublesome. He explained her that he never meant it to offend her.

Though it was a lame way to start the conversation, but remembering the advice given by Manik and the kind of aura she had, he had to be cautious in his approach. The active response from her side bloomed his heart with hope for more. He could see a sweet and a caring girl hidden behind a free-spirited girl. Things were going slow between them but still they reached till friendship. Mauli was charmed by his innocence.

Manik's Pov

I entered inside the room and saw Nandini sitting and looking at the 'Cast Saw' fearfully which was kept near her bed on the table, to remove her plaster cast. It was a sharp toothed instrument and she looked afraid of it, like any other patient. Mayank, one of my junior was wearing his gloves to start the process.

My eyes went to her plaster and a chuckle escaped my mouth looking at the designs which our friends had made. The cast looked funny with a design of aaloo parantha that Cabir drew and Mukti decorated with 'get well soon' topped with icecream. These three are crazy.

"But you like it Malhotra" ~ said my ever so nosy subconscious.

"Manik!" She said my name with a glee and my lips curved upwards as a reflex. I'm seeing her after so long and I missed her. The virtual connection didn't suffice anymore.

"Hello, you naughty little girl." I greeted her and pulled her nose making her pout. "You go, I'll examine her." I instructed him and he went away silently.

"So aaj aap yaha kaise madam?" I asked her and settled on the stool kept beside the bed.

"You don't have time for me inspite of living in the same building, toh maine socha mai hi tumhe apne darshan dedu." She said and chinned up her face.

"Dhanya hua ye bhakt aapke darshan paake maate." I said joining my hands and we both laughed out loudly. I can see her smiling all day man!

"Still you don't see her daily Malhotra" ~ snorted my subconscious jogging around in the park, upset.

"Acha leave all this and tell me, are you having any discomfort or pain?" I said moving her foot gently and she wasn't affected. Phew!

"So how's work?" I asked casually, trying to distract her from the 'saw' in my hand.