Chapter 17

So I managed to get this chapter out. MamaAnonymous, here's one for you :)

——————

The twins and Nicholas walked ahead of the bots, marveling at the mountains that towered up over them.

Micheal and Shockwave ran around, looking at some distinctive boulders and discussing the geology of the terrain while Nick and Jennifer took in the vast landscape. A small click on Jennifer's shoulder told them Soundwave was photographing the scene, adding it to his ever-growing, digital collection.

Predaking had roared in delight the moment they'd exited the groudbridge and had immediately taken to the air, circling their heads and doing loops above them.

Optimus Prime, Ratchet, and Wheeljack walked behind them, keeping their eyes out for anything out of the ordinary. They scanned the quarries and sides of the mountains, looking for anything resembling a cave.

'Appreciate you calling me up for this mission Prime.' Jackie said while they walked, 'It sure has been a while since I've done anything like this.' 'It's a pleasure to have you along.' Optimus said, 'Despite what Ratchet said, I felt your expertise would come in handy for this mission.'

'I still think it's not necessary.' The medic said in front of him, 'I don't see why we need an explosives expert when going into an unstable mountain.' 'Come on doc,' The wrecker said, grinning at him, 'You know you miss me when I'm gone.'

'With every bullet so far (I had to XD).' He grumbled. 'Ratchet!' Nick scolded but grinned as he did. His guardian sighed, 'You know I was joking,' He said, 'And don't call me doc!'

'Whatever you say, Sunshine.' He said, making the kids laugh at Ratchet's annoyed expression. He then fell back a bit so he was walking directly next to Optimus.

'I have to admit though,' Wheeljack said, quiet enough so only the leader and the medic heard him, 'I didn't believe you guys when I was informed of the situation.' He looked over at his rival, currently perched on the girl's shoulder.

'It is, hard to believe they've been helping us for about a month now.' Optimus admitted, 'But I can say with no doubt they are not the same bots we knew before.' 'But you said it was a relic that did this.' The white mech argued, 'What if the cons were able to reverse it and make them "the bots we one before." He said, using finger quotations.

Optimus and Ratchet exchanged a looked before he held up the scanner and waved it around, 'They can't use it if they don't have it.' The Prime said. Wheeljack blinked, 'We're tracking the relic that did this?' He asked.

Ratchet nodded, 'We figured they would sooner or later use it the second they found where the mini-cons were.' He said, 'It would just be safer if the device was in our possession.' 'You crafty bot.' Jackie grinned.

After a while, they stopped at the foot of one of the peaks. Optimus and Ratchet checked their scanners while Wheeljack went to the kids. 'Check it out.' Mike said, showing the mech the rock wall. A single layer, resembling a thin black line cut through it.

'Looks like this was once a volcano.' Mike said, craning his neck up to see the top of the tall peak, 'You can tell from that layer of sediment.' Shockwave shot at it and broke a piece off so it fell into the boy's hand before he pocketed it.

Jackie laughed at the boy's enthusiasm. He grinned and ran off to find more interesting things with the wrecked following him. 'Miko would be calling him a rock nerd if she was her right now, wouldn't she?' Nick laughed as he and Jen watched them.

'Most definitely.' She said, stretching out her arm so Soundwave could stand on it and take pictures of the rock.

'So how did you two manage to come on this mission?' He asked, leaning against the wall. She shrugged and brought the bot back to her shoulder, 'Mom took our aunt out on a shopping expedition so we had a couple of hours to kill.'