Chapter 3

3rd Person POV:

Jennifer looked up at the sky as she approached her house. Dark clouds were quickly making their way over the desert landscape, threatening to cover the town in less than an hour. 'Wonder if the match is gonna get rained out.' She spoke to herself, thinking of her brother and friend.

She continued along the sidewalk as her neighbor stepped out of her house and walked to her car. She stopped and waved, 'Afternoon Jennifer.' The woman called. 'Good afternoon Mrs Darby.'

'Please thank your dad for me for helping Jack with his project the other night.' Jack's mother asked. 'Sure thing.' Jennifer called, 'If he needs help with anything else, just ask.'

She waved goodbye and continued till she reached her driveway. She walked up, only briefly stopping to check the post box.

She continued up to the steps of her house and opened the door, 'I'm home!' She called down the hall. A woman came out of a door on her left, opposite the staircase. 'Welcome back.' Her mother said hugging her, 'Good day at school?' Jennifer shrugged, 'Average.' She simply put.

'Mike's still at the game but you may need to go fetch him soon.' Jennifer said walking down the hall to her dad's study, 'It looks like it's going to rain.'

She knocked on the door and looked inside. The study was small but each wall was lined with cabinets and storage compartments filled with spare parts. Her father was a techno geek who built and sold his own computers and devices.

He was the man a lot of people came to if they had technological issues. He was a very helpful and charged way less than the local store. He was also a genius. Jennifer had once seen him rig up a circuit board for a laptop in less than fifteen minutes.

He'd taught both his kids how to deal with technology and code software. In a few years, both Jen and Mike had built the computers now sitting on their desks in their rooms. It's how they were now brilliant with technology and ended up helping teachers and staff when their systems went haywire.

She walked into the room and looked at the far right wall. A tall man with messy brown hair and glasses sat at the desk there. He was carefully piecing parts of a computer together.

'Afternoon dad.' She said and hugged him from behind. 'Hey sweety.' He replied looking up, 'Have a good day?' 'Yeah,' She responded, 'Mrs Darby says thanks for helping Jack.'

'Well I'm sure she knows it's a pleasure.' He chuckled. She thought for a moment before asking, 'How advanced are toys these days?'

Her father turned in his chair and faced her, 'How advanced are they?' He repeated, confused by the random question, 'Well they've managed to get some to respond and move slightly but nothing too high grade. Why?'

'Cause I saw one today.' Jennifer said, leaning against the wall, 'It was a little navy robot with a visor on its face. I saved it after it ran into the road.'

Her father rubbed his chin in thought, 'That is strange.' He said, 'It was probably some expensive toy that someone dropped. I'll take a look on the web and see for you.' 'Thanks.' She said and left.

She went up the stairs to her room and dropped her bag by the desk. She pulled out her books and starting to make notes but her mind never wavered from the small bot.

An hour later, she looked up as rain started hammering on her window. The door downstairs slammed and she heard Mike's voice as he came upstairs and went to his room. She stood up and leaned over her desk, peering out the window. It was hard to see through the streaks but she could just make out a distorted driveway and road. It lit up as a car passed by.