Facing the Wolves

WBE: 881
WAE: 1,149

Thump, thump.

"Hello, lass." I looked up, my breath catching in my throat as Bryn's green eyes met mine.

I threw myself forwards and crashed my lips to his in a kiss. I sank into the passion, entirely relieved for his life, for him to be returned to me. Every part of my being hummed with contentment, and I smiled against his mouth.

"I'm certainly not complaining, lass... but we have an audience." I leaned up, seemingly unable to stop smiling.

"I don't give a damn, I'm not letting you go." I pressed my hand to his chest, feeling for the wound I'd inflicted. There was nothing there besides a tear in his clothing. He grinned at me and sat up slowly, laughing when I bowled him over again with another kiss.

"You don't have to," Brynjolf reassured me, stroking my cheek softly. His eyes shone. "But I think we have a few things to do."

"What will it take for us to get a day of peace?" I sputtered, exasperated. I stole another kiss before standing up and helping him-- though I didn't release his hand once he was on his feet. "Thank you, Karliah." I turned my attention to the Dunmer Prince on the other side of the Ebonmere. "You've given me another chance at life... and a chance for another life." I smiled. "If you ever need me, for anything--"

"Lass, I thought you wanted a bit of peace," Bryn teased.

"If Karliah needs us, we'll help, no matter what."

"Whoever said that thieves have no honor?" Karliah replied with laughter. Gallus' ghostly form wavered, slowly gaining color. "You will remain by my side, just as Russet will remain with Brynjolf."

"I'd be honored, my lady." Gallus smiled brightly, holding Karliah's-- or was it Nocturnal's?-- hand.

"Before you return to the Thieves Guild," Karliah began, seriousness infecting her tone, "you have another task."

"What?" I complained, eliciting a chuckle from Brynjolf. His deep laugh brought me comforting thoughts, and I leaned my head on his shoulder. His dark red hair tickled my forehead.

"I believe you have a brother to speak to."

"A brother-- oh." I was overcome with guilt, and again memories of the Companion flashed across my mind. "If I hadn't fallen asleep, Farkas wouldn't have died."

"Perhaps not," Gallus considered. "But it was written in the stars. We cannot mourn the past and let it change who we are. We must use it to shape the future."

"Are you ready to travel?" I asked Brynjolf, who nodded slowly.

"I just don't fancy the reception you'll get when you return without him."

"I suppose," I mumbled, despising the look I knew I'd see on Vilkas's face when I told him his brother was dead.

...

We pushed through the gates of Whiterun for the first time in months. Adrianne worked at her forge like every other day, and the sweet scent of the Gildergreen wafted through the air. A wave of nostalgia swept over me, tempering the shame.

"Don't worry, lass," Bryn comforted. "I'm sure you'll live."

"It's not that I'm concerned about. They wouldn't attack me." I was quiet for a few moments. "I don't want to tell Vilkas that his brother died saving me from a Daedric Lord."

"It wasn't your fault," he assured me.

"Except for the fact that it was. I'm the one who made a deal with the old Nocturnal to find out a couple of questions that--" I stopped myself short, my face reddening. "That I could have figured out myself." He smiled mischievously, raising an eyebrow. I cleared my throat, the embarrassment fading as the reason why I was in Whiterun cropped up in the front of my mind. "Let's go tell my friend his brother is dead." It vanished in a second, and we both sobered.

...

Jorrvaskr exploded into an uproar of applause once I walked through the door, though it was the eyes of Sansa that froze me to the spot. She furrowed her brows, clearly taking note of Bryn's arm firmly wrapped around my waist.

Aela's voice rose from the crowd. "Russet has returned!"

"I knew she wouldn't fail!"

"The mighty hero prevails once again!" shouted Vilkas, giving Sansa a glance. Sansa slowly smiled and nodded. I knew I had to get everyone's attention, and fast. I had something that had to be done.

"Wait!" I shouted above the clamor, waving my hands above my head. "There's something I need to tell you all." After a moment quieted down and looked up at me expectantly. I caught Vilkas' eye in particular, and a stone of guilt settled into my belly. My words caught in my throat, and I found myself unable to speak. Brynjolf placed a comforting hand on the small of my back. "I-- Farkas is-- Farkas is dead."

Murmurs of confusion rippled throughout Jorrvaskr. I stared down at the crackling hearth, having no desire to look up at the disappointment that surely showed in Vilkas' face.

"Russet," he said quietly, walking over and grasping my bicep. "What in the blazes are you talking about?"

"Hey, Russet!" The familiar rumble of Farkas's deep tone hit. "Did you miss me?"

"You— you're not dead," I whispered in shock, feeling Bryn tense behind me.

"A simple 'hello' would have worked," he grumbled, though there was a teasing spark in his eyes.

"But how?" His cheeks darkened into a deep red, and his brother smirked.

"Er... it's a long story..." Farkas kicked at the ground.

"Then tell it! Jorrvaskr is the place for daring tales!" I grabbed a bottle of mead from the table and poured it into a tankard.

"Farkas? My moon, you have found our friend." The raspy voice of none other than Ma'kaddi shocked me. I was dumbfounded, to say the least, at the sappy eyes they gave each other.

"Ma'kaddi had been trailing us ever since you left the village," Farkas declared, finally meeting my gaze. "She rescued me from those beasts and took me to the house. Well, she nursed me back to health... and the rest is evident."

"I can see that." I beamed, glad that Farkas had found someone to love— beyond all odds and prejudices. "I hope you two are happy together."

"We are," Ma'kaddi replied, holding the Companion's hand. "We are, indeed."

...

"So that's it, lass?" Brynjolf asked once we were on the road again. "We've taken down the old Nocturnal, learned that your ex-lover was alive—"

"He was never my lover," I objected, blushing furiously. Sure, I'd had something of a crush on him when I was younger, but...

"—And discovered that he'd fallen head over heels for a cat."

"It is cute how he adopted her daughter, too."

"Adorable," he snorted, unimpressed.

"Where are we headed, now?" Brynjolf pointed southwest and winked.

"Back to Riften, lass. Let's spread the good news."