Brynjolf

WBE: I don't remember-- 400-something.
WAE: 717

((15th of Sun's Height, 4E 205, 12:00 a.m.))

((BRYNJOLFPOV))

I pounded at the ground, anger filling my bones. "If I can't figure out how to wake up my lass, how in all of Tamriel am I supposed to figure out a riddle that foretells her death?!"

"There has to be a trick to this," Karliah muttered, tracing the patterns. Her fingernail made a short scratching sound on the rock.

Suddenly, a beam of pure moonlight shone down through an opening in the stone ceiling. The gurgling spring in the middle became a waterfall, and light emanated from the middle.

"That... might be it." My heart thudded in my chest.

"The Elder Scroll," Karliah whispered in awe, gaping at it shining within the ray of light. It was set upon a brilliantly polished marble pedestal. "How do we get it, though?" I tapped my chin thoughtfully, considering the various options.

"We've got to swim, Karliah." The Dark Elf hesitated, then shook her head.

"No. You've got to swim, Brynjolf."

"Why me?" I glanced at the water. It was sparkling and clear, likely without dangers, but I hadn't been a fan of swimming after the Mercer Frey Incident.

"You're the one she needs, Brynjolf. You should retrieve the last Scroll." I groaned at her logic and stared at the lake. "Hurry up, before the light disappears. We don't know if it's integral to retrieving the Scroll." Taking a deep breath, I dove into the cool water and swam to the middle, forcing myself to stay calm. I'm not in the cave, I'm not in the cave... The Elder Scroll was just barely out of reach, and the marble was too slippery to climb.

I didn't have time to evaluate the situation. Karliah's panicked voice instantly drew my attention. "Brynjolf!"

"What?" I whipped my soaking wet hair out of my face, making a mental note to trim it.

"It's Russet! H-her skin is like ash, and it's turning darker every second!" My heart dropped into my stomach. "She still won't wake!"

"I've got to get the Scroll," I hissed through clenched teeth, clawing at the pedestal. "Gods..."

Wait!" Karliah shouted desperately. "The riddle-- whatever those glyphs were-- we have to solve it!" I glanced over to shore again, hoping she was right.

"What does it say?!"

"Death comes swiftly if you dare to find the vision's hidden lair. Four to one makes three to two, showing light to one all moon. Crashing waves and drowning lies, truth is spoken for demise.

"To reveal the treasure sought you for, words are spoken true and pure. This for so deadly a quest, fighting for the very breath. For on Earth she shall erase, russet blood to spill and replace."

"That doesn't make sense..." I slammed my hand onto the water furiously. "Did every ancient race have to make everything so goddamn difficult?!" I ran over the first verse in my head, trying every combination of the numbers. "Four to one makes three to two.... Karliah, twelve!" Not even I knew what I was saying, but it seemed the only logical way to look at it. "It's got to be midnight. To reveal the treasure... words are spoken..."

"Words?" Karliah brushed away a few strands of hair that covered my lass' face. Just then, looking at her soot-black skin, it hit me. I need to tell the truth. I breathed deeply and said the one thing I'd refused to say. "When Mercer told me that she was dead, I was dead inside. When he told me that she lived, I wanted to believe it, even if it made us sworn enemies. I shouldn't have kept that fury, shouldn't have damned her...

"Russet will always hold a place in my heart. I will never stop fighting for her... and I will always love her."

For a brief moment, the vast cavern was silent, the only noise the lapping of the water at the marble pedestal. Then, all at once, the entire lake was filled with light as it started to whirl around-- with me still in it. The pedestal lowered just enough for me to retrieve the Elder Scroll. I mentally celebrated until Karliah's fearful cry echoed across the lake:

"Brynjolf!! She's not breathing!!"