Taking Care of Business

((13th of Second Seed, 4E 202))

My organization won't be easy to find, but I'll give you a little help. Go down to the lower level of Riften, near the canal. There, you'll find a door leading to the Ratway. I'd advise you to be cautious, there's far more than just a mouse or two down there. You'll have to tell me your name if you manage to make it to my base of operations, the Ragged Flagon.

Good luck.

I scoffed at the message and crumpled up the yellowed page. Trotting down the steps to the canal, I began to speak to myself. "Luck?" The wooden planks were rotten and precariously set together. "I make my own luck." I came upon the door to the Ratway and inspected it carefully. There was no sign of anything out of the ordinary, and for a trained warrior such as myself, whatever was inside would be only too easy to deal with.

Tossing the parchment into the murky canal, I strode through the door confidently. It shut behind me without my touching it somehow. It was a bit odd that it would do so, but I had something else on my mind.

Brynjolf's organization wasn't built on integrity. I'd gathered that much from our few conversations. However, that didn't mean whatever he was a part of wasn't useful. It was either that or the man was insane. For all I knew, the Ragged Flagon could be nothing but a pit with some ale scattered about.

I was too lost in thought to notice the low talking up ahead. I managed to crash into someone who, for an unknown reason, was also in the Ratway caverns. Experience let me unsheathe my weapon quickly, but a lack of preparation let me overlook the fact that the man had a friend. Surrounded and with no way out, the gears in my head turned rapidly as I tried thinking of a strategy.

Unsurprisingly, it came to me pretty quickly. Hack and slash until the enemies are on the ground with their guts hanging out. It was a decent plan, however simple. Sometimes the best plans are the least complex. The first man raised a mace, the second a deadly-looking axe. I skewered the first man and rolled out of the second man's way. He stomped and turned, furious.

"Get back here, you little twit!" he demanded, chasing after me. I didn't run for long, just until I made him backtrack and trapped him against a wall. I had the advantage for a short while, but that didn't mean I didn't sustain a few wounds during the fight. After a minute, he made a fatal mistake in leaving his left side unguarded. Jabbing my own sword through the gap and into his heart, he fell to the ground and convulsed. Meanwhile, I panted and caught my breath now that I was at least somewhat safe.

I left them where they'd died, bloody and slumped in questionable positions. Just beyond was a drawbridge, which to my dismay was pulled up. I heard faint voices and shrill laughter just beyond, convincing me of the Ragged Flagon's existence. The flying leap I took at the other side ended in failure, as did the attempt to climb the stones. "Damn," I swore, looking around me for another path. There were multiple tunnels, and I chose one at random. As good as any, I suppose.

The rest of the Ratway, or at least what I came across, was mostly filled with beasts such as Skeevers and Frostbite spiders. Farkas had always been terrified of the eight-legged freaks, but they'd never bothered me much. It was to my advantage, as it turned out to be the only way through. There was one lunatic living in a closed-off chamber, scrambling around on his hands and knees.

The second he noticed my presence, he climbed to his feet and darted towards me. His hands were held up defensively as he waited for me to make a move. Instead of killing him, I tried to reason with the man. He might have been hostile, but I usually didn't enjoy taking the lives of those who didn't deserve it. My words went unheard by the man, so I took no more chances and cut his throat. Something akin to pity gathered in my stomach before I continued on my path.