Ghosts

WBE: 665
WAE: 770 (Such a difference...)

...
((1st of Midyear, 4E 205, 3:56 a.m.))

The ground rumbled behind us as well, and I glanced backwards at a similar noise. The hair on the back of my neck stood on end, and my first thought went to my two companions.

"Out of the way!" I hollered, pulling Karliah and Bryn near the walls. If I hadn't moved them, ghostly forms would have impaled us from behind before the ones in front did.

"What in the name of--" I clamped my hand over Brynjolf's mouth. Whatever they were, the forms didn't give us the slightest glance. Both sides charged into battle, warcries rising from each. Some had what resembled elven armor, the people with matching features, others with heavy bronze armor obscuring their faces.

As soon as their weapons flew at each other, they disappeared. Not the slightest trace of remained, not even sound. We waited there for several minutes, cautious in case of another being set off.

Karliah was the first to risk movement. "What was that?" She slowly stood to inspect the area that had been a near-battlefield only moments before. "If they were wraiths or ghosts, they would have left traces of ectoplasm." She scratched at the floor, only managing to pick up dust.

"What's ectoplasm?" Brynjolf asked after I'd removed my hand from his lips.

"It's what a ghostly essence leaves behind," I explained, hoisting myself up as well.

"They weren't real people... so who were they?" We found no way to answer just yet.

"Let's look around," Karliah suggested. "I can't imagine they were an illusion. The Akaviri were intelligent, but couldn't have had that kind of magic."

"Could they have been the Chimer?" I asked, lifting the lid to a chest. Nothing. The Dunmer paused. "Well?"

"Hush." I could almost hear the gears in her mind turning. "The Chimer..." She whirled around to face me, a shine in her violet eyes. "What Scroll did the dragon say was in these ruins?"

"I believe he said memories. Why?"

"They were memories!" She seemed to be getting excited. "The Elder Scroll must be in one of these chambers, and it kept alive the memory of the battle!" Understanding dawned upon me, her theory making complete sense.

"What battle?" Brynjolf looked at us stupidly.

"The battle between the Chimer and the Dwemer!" I jumped about, nearly as energetic as my Dark Elf friend. "This must be it! These walls hold the memory of the two elf races, the mer that disappeared!"

"Suppose that's true, lass... who would have the magic to keep the memory alive?"

"Not a who, a what. The Scroll, idiot. Karliah already explained that." I rolled my eyes at his clueless expression. "The Elder Scroll must be keeping the memories alive."

"Then what will happen when we take it?" I quieted down. "You didn't think of that, did you, lass? If you took the memories, then you took their magic all for yourself." I sat on the ground.

"Shut up, Bryn." The memories of two races would be lost. The very thing that kept these walls alive. Gone.

"You know I didn't mean it like that, lass."

"Brynjolf, I would suggest that you keep your mouth shut," Karliah snapped. "You seem to have a bad habit of that."

I refused to speak after that, and we all decided to get some rest. But of course, I wasn't going to get very good dreams in the presence of the memories, was I?

...

((1st of Midyear, 4E 205, 4:45 a.m.))

My sleep pattern was completely destroyed. Instead of a visit from the Daedric prince, I received the memories of my horrendous childhood.

"Make it stop, please!" I wailed, falling to the ground. I felt arms around me, and I knew that I was about to have the life choked out of me. Anything to stop the dreams... I succumbed.

But my life wasn't draining away. The chill around me was. I didn't move. I wondered why I wasn't dying. The memories of flame and pain were fading, and being replaced by the lighter.

Learning about my destiny. The Thieves Guild. The moment I was accepted. When Brynjolf kissed me...

I stayed there as the tears ebbed away.

...