Nightmares

WBE: 1,445
WAE: 2,211

......

((4th of Rain's Hand, 4E 205, 8:39 p.m.))

I explained to the crowd that had gotten larger every detail of my adventure, not leaving out a single part. I'd even acted out some of the events.

"I'd never wanted to truly leave the Guild," I admitted. "But as I stood in the great fields of Sovngarde over the fading body of Alduin, as I watched the body of the Vampire Lord melt into a pile of blood, I knew with all of my heart that I had made the right choice," I finished. Storytelling was something I'd always loved to do, and it was amazing that my heroism touched countless lives.

As cheers rang out, I laughed as I realized that I hadn't even needed to embellish a single thing. Take that, Brynjolf. It was all truthful. Aela would be proud.

After minor celebration, the Guild members dispersed and returned to their duties while the citizens returned to Riften aboveground. I gave a pointed look at Bryn, who turned around and walked off with a huff.

I wouldn't deny it. I was somewhat putting on an act to make him see that I was strong enough to live without him, that he meant nothing to me. If he hadn't figured that out by now, then he was dumber than I thought.

A tall Nord with shaggy black hair sauntered up to me with a sly smirk, and I was instantly annoyed. "New record," I grumbled as I crossed my arms. "Three seconds and you've already pissed me off."

"Aw, don't be like that, sugarcheeks," he purred, slinging a hand around my shoulder in an attempt to be smooth. I tossed him off and glared. "The name's Garthar." This information was useless to me. My high from showing off my own triumphs had ebbed away, leaving me once again feeling awkward under these familiar stones. "Remember it, 'cause you're going to be hearing a lot about me."

"You're a new recruit?" I queried, unimpressed. "How did you join the Guild?"

"Helped Vex out with a pack of wolves." Garther stretched his arms out, posturing for me.

"She... needed help with wolves?" I snorted disbelievingly. He scratched the back of his head, slightly embarrassed. "Watch your boasting, whelp."

"...Remember, you're still a whelp to us, new blood..."

"Ah... well, two of them were already dead by the time I got there." His attempt at a recovery was failing miserably. "But--" I was forced to listen to the Nord's boasting and about his fight with Vex.

I knew Vex. She'd never let anyone beat her. "So how many scars did she give you?" I would have thought that my tone alone might have made it clear I was bored and uninterested in conversation.

"None, but it came to a draw... I went easy on her." I doubted it. Vex would have killed him in a second.

"I doubt you'd be so eager to fight her again."

"Oh, certainly true. Wouldn't want to hurt her. But I wouldn't mind a bit of a scuffle..." He smirked. "With you or Vex."

I figured the best response was no response and left him alone. I used to pride myself on my status as Dragonborn far more than usual. Now, it garnered the wrong kind of attention. I had told the story, and it had been enjoyable. However, the only reason I'd even let it out was to shut Brynjolf's pretty mouth up.

Every man thought they deserved my favor. They came to me with hopes of being great and famous, each failing horribly. No one seemed to learn despite how many jaws I busted open. I had very few friends who were not interested in marriage.