Shadows of a Nightmare

WBE: 1,546

WAE: 2,061
...................

((1st of Second Seed, 4E 205, 7:48 p.m.))

I walked along a bright path, light shining through every leaf and stone. It was somewhat soothing, the light warm on my skin. Still, I continued on the path even as I approached a dark forest. The canopy covered the light almost instantaneously, cutting off the warmth. I shivered and turned around, foreboding gripping me. However, when I turned around to go back the way I'd come, it had been shrouded in darkness. With every step I took into the forest, it became darker. I had no choice but to keep going.

Eventually, the woods were only lit by the full moon, which quickly waned until it was a mere sliver in the sky. I tried to stop walking altogether, but an unknown force kept me moving. The moon vanished completely, and an icy breeze rushed through the trees. It chilled me to the bone. I knew I was in danger at that moment.

I fled from where I was, running as quickly as I possibly could. Without caring where I was headed, I crashed into countless branches and thorns that scratched at my flesh. 

"Halt, mortal." My body froze in its spot, and I knew exactly who held that voice. Her tone was reminiscent of the blackest night in the coldest winter. My attempts to move about my own accord were blocked as an invisible hand gripped me "You have something that belongs to me."  

"I don't..." I hated how my lip quivered in fear. The evil emanating from all around me set me on edge. In the distance, the Mistress of Shadow advanced slowly upon me. I was still prevented from moving about.

"You promised me your dreams, child," she hissed. Nocturnal extended a clawed hand, and the raven on her shoulder fixed me with a paralyzing stare. "I intend to take what is mine."

A single finger touched my chest, and I was allowed the slightest bit of movement-- a horrible shriek of agony. The pain coursed through my veins, making me colder and colder along with it. Almost welcome was the prick at my arm, then the drip of warmth that flowed down.

I opened my eyes to a different world.

...

((2nd of Second Seed, 4E 205, 2:32 a.m.))

I awoke to a sharp pain in my right hand. Karliah sat beside me, cross-legged and with a blank face. Brynjolf snored lightly, and for some reason, it irked me that he wasn't up.

"You... you weren't waking when I called you," the Dunmer said softly, lifting my hand. "You wouldn't respond, and your skin became gray." I stared at my fingers and watched the ashen color fade from my flesh. "I took a chance and cut your skin through after all else failed. It looks like it worked." Blood oozed from the wound. "Do you know what that was?"

"Thank you," I whispered, wrapping it up while simultaneously ignoring her query. The nightmare. "How long was I asleep?"

"Several hours, six at least. You fell down while we were walking, and Bryn had to carry you away. We're near a pond." Her voice held more worry than was necessary.

"We need to get going. I... I think Nocturnal found me." Karliah flinched, and I realized that she must have been exhausted.

"Don't worry about me, I'll be fine," she promised once I tried to voice my concern.

"You won't be," I pointed out.

"I'm just worried about you, Russet." I curled my knees up to my chest.

"Sleep, Karliah. I'll keep watch and wake you if anything happens." The Dunmer looked as if she was about to protest, but I shook my head. "I'm not changing my mind." To be truthful, the main reason I agreed to take the watch so soon wasn't out of concern for my companions. It was to contemplate what had happened to me.