Russet

WBE: 1,056
WAE: 1,281

((RUSSETPOV))

((9th of Sun's Height, 4E 205, 8:37 p.m.))

We reached the stables in about five minutes, and I motioned for my companions to take a seat in Bjorlam's carriage.

"I can take you to any of the hold-"

"I don't need to go anywhere in Skyrim," I told him, holding out my pouch. "I need to get to the Imperial City in Cyrodil."

"Ah, I don't go that far," he said uneasily, shifting in his seat.

"I can offer you five thousand septims," I bartered. His eyes widened, and he nodded hurriedly. "All the way to the Imperial City."

"Yes, yes." I handed off the bag, and he whistled as he felt at its impressive weight. When I walked to the back, Karliah was rubbing her temples while the men squabbled.

"I will!"

"No lad, I will."

"I'll bash in your skull!"

"Both of you, shut up!" I commanded, and they fell silent. "What are you arguing about?" Their faces reddened, and I took a seat near Karliah. "Fine, don't answer." Farkas pouted instantly while Brynjolf simply frowned.

"See what you've done?" Farkas growled at Brynjolf, his voice wobbling as the carriage began to move. "Now she's not sitting near either of us."

"Is this seriously what they were arguing about?" I muttered to Karliah. The Dunmer nodded in annoyance, staring at the two Nords.

"Unfortunately, yes," she groaned. "I've got a feeling that it'll be this way the entire journey."

"It'd better not be," I remarked. "If they keep this up, I'll dump their asses off in the middle of nowhere."

...

((11th of Sun's Height, 4E 205, 5:14 a.m.))

"Lass! Lass, wake up." A broad hand stirred me awake, and I stared into Brynjolf's bright green eyes. My breath hitched in my throat, and he grinned at my expression.

"Why in Oblivion did you wake me, idiot?" I hissed irritably, shoving him out of the way. He rubbed his jaw, but otherwise seemed unfazed by my outburst.

"I thought you'd want to see this, lass. The Jerall Mountains can be very beautiful at sunrise." I was touched by his reasoning— but that didn't change the fact that I hadn't slept properly in months.

Or that he'd been an ass for the past few years.

"Er... thank you, but—" I didn't get a chance to finish my sentence. A bright light shimmered on the snow covering the mountaintops. They gleamed like a thousand diamonds placed by the gods themselves. I forgot my predicament and was taken by the beauty. "It's gorgeous," I breathed.

Brynjolf murmured something, and when I asked him about it, he told me to forget it. His voice was so low I couldn't tell if he intended for me to hear in the first place.

"Thank you for showing me," I said softly, uncertain as to exactly what my response should be. Shaking some sense back into myself, I allowed an edge to return to my voice as I continued. "But I'm still pissed that you bloody woke me up."

"I'd be concerned if you weren't," he chuckled, touching my cheek lightly. I felt the blood rush to my face. Hardening my heart, I pushed his hand away and bit my tongue.

"Thank you, Brynjolf," I said curtly. "Allow me to go back to sleep."

"What if..." I heard his unspoken question. What if Nocturnal finds me?

"Then do exactly what you always do, Brynjolf." I flopped back down onto my bedroll. "Hurt me."

...

((11th of Sun's Height, 4E 205, 7:56 a.m.))

We ate a rushed breakfast in the morning, and I kept catching Brynjolf sneaking triumphant grins towards a grumpy Farkas. I presumed it was because of the mountains deal, but at this point didn't quite care.

We were on the road again, and it only took about five hours (and two dozen arguments between our men) to reach the city.

Once we climbed off the carriage, Bjorlam grabbed my attention and called me aside.

"Do you want me to stay...?"

"No thank you, Bjorlam. Chances are we'll be staying for quite some time." The carriage driver nodded and flicked the reins, heading back towards Skyrim. "We need to go for anonymity," I told my companions once he'd vanished. "Wear regular clothing."

"Sorry to... interrupt, lass, but out of us all, you stand out the most." I frowned at Brynjolf.

"That's not the point. I'm going to change too, icebrain. We're simple adventurers from Cheydinhal."

"Where are we supposed to stay?" Farkas asked worriedly, and I chuckled a bit at his childish look.

"I purchased a house here last time I visited, back after I left the Guild." I shot Brynjolf a pointed glance and was surprised to find his eyes filled with yearning. Taking a deep breath, I beckoned them all to follow me as I headed through the Imperial City.

...

((11th of Sun's Height, 4E 205, 12:37 p.m.))

"Bloody hell," I cursed. The styles in Cyrodil differed greatly from Skyrim's, and had somehow changed greatly within the past year alone. Cyrodil's clothing was flashy and colorful, as opposed to Skyrim's sturdy stitches. I hoped that no one would notice, but that would be too much to ask. The Divines hate me. "Let's get to my house," I grumbled. "With luck, I've got something there to use."

We walked through the districts until we came to the Talos Plaza— renamed Altmer Plaza by the Thalmor. Still, I'd refuse to call it by any name other than that of my most revered Divine. I unlocked the door to my house and walked inside.

Scuffling noises came from upstairs, and I motioned for my friends to be quiet. I drew my sword and carefully stepped on the ornate rugs. Great job Holvir did protecting this place, I thought angrily.

The floorboards underneath my feet creaked, and I stopped short. The noises upstairs did not cease. I climbed the steps, throwing open the door. Two thieves were rifling through my personal belongings.

"Get the hell out of my house," I growled. "Drop everything you stole or I will gut you like a fish." The two thieves bellowed with laughter.

"We ain't scared of you!"

"You should be." I bolted across the room and shoved my blade through the first bandit's chest. His mouth bubbled with blood, and he slumped to the ground. My sword was at the neck of the other's in a split second, and I hid a smile at his fearful expression. "Are you going to let go of what you took, or am I going to have to get it from your corpse?" The thief dropped the sack. "All of it." He emptied out his pockets. "And what's that in your hand...?"

I snatched the rings from his grip and shoved him away from me. "Get out before I change my mind." He nodded and stumbled away. My companions walked into my room.

"Who the hell is this?" Farkas yelled, battleaxe already in his hands.

"A thief. Leave him be." The thief scampered away, and my friends came over to inspect the dead bandit.

"Lass..." Brynjolf plucked something off the dead bandit and held it up. I knew it was one of the various trinkets he'd gifted me, but did my best to ignore it.

Unwillingly, my eyes wandered to his pocket, and I recognized the chain dangling out. I forced myself not to care that he'd brought the damnable dragon along and cleared my throat.

"At least if they'd gotten away, they wouldn't have taken anything of worth." I ignored the hurt on Brynjolf's face and pushed past him. "Come on. We've got work to do."