The Second Beginning

So, about the absence... *rubs neck nervously* Uh... no excuse. I: This is a short chapter, because the next one is a POV. THE WINNER... IS...

WBE: 797
WAE: 875

...

((9th of Sun's Height, 4E 205, 9:48 a.m.))

"What do you need?" Farkas asked gruffly, crossing his arms. Vilkas stayed silent.

"Russet's leaving," answered Aela. The twins shared a glance.

"Obviously, she can't go alone," Vilkas snorted. I opened my mouth to protest, but Farkas shook his head.

"We're coming with you," he insisted. "I told you last night, and you're not changing my mind."

"I can't have you both."

"Then I'll go," Vilkas offered. "Where are you going?"

"I would be traveling to Cyrodil and Elsweyr." Vilkas' eyes narrowed, and I felt like a fox underneath the gaze of an angry wolf.

"Alone?" I'd nearly forgotten that he hadn't been part of the previous night's conversation.

"Er, no. I'd be traveling with Brynjolf and Karliah." Aela leaned in and muttered something to him, and a low growl rumbled in the back of the tall Nord's throat. A resentful gleam hung in his eye.

"Russet, you know I respect you, but I refuse to travel with thieves." I flinched a bit at Vilkas' harsh tone, however justified it was. His expression softened. "Forgive me, my tongue got away. I'm aware of what you did— but you've turned away from that path, and I'm grateful. However, the two you already consort with are hardly the ideal Shield-Siblings I'd keep."

"They have to stay with me," I told him quietly.

"I don't care who you're traveling with, Russet." Farkas threw an arm around my shoulder, a goofy grin on his face. "I'll follow you wherever you go." I looked into his warm eyes and couldn't help but reciprocate his happy expression.

"It's settled, then." Aela stood up. "Farkas, you will accompany Russet on her journey." My eyes watered, not for the first time that day, either. 

"Thank you, all of you." I allowed a last toast. "To the quest!"

"To the quest!"

...

I walked out of Jorrvaskr, knowing it might very well be my last time. Farkas trailed behind me happily, and while I hoped I wouldn't go deaf from his chatter, I was still glad he was with me. 

"Hail, Dragonborn." A guard nodded to me, and I dipped my head in response. 

"Mind if I take a bit to prepare?" I asked the black-haired Nord.

"Get your best armor and weapons, we're gonna kick ass!" Unable to supress a laugh, I was given strange looks by Ahlam and Carlotta. 

"Let's go look through my books at Breezehome, I'm sure I can create something worth using." We walked until I reached the house. Inside, Brynjolf and Karliah still slept. "Keep quiet, I'll check my tomes." I walked off to the bookcase and skimmed the titles. "Ah! Here we are." With a bit of effort, I managed to draw up a complicated plan. It wouldn't be easy, but the outcome would be pleasing enough if it worked.

By the time I returned, Bryn and Karliah had gotten up. "G'morning, sunshine," Brynjolf muttered groggily, and I rolled my eyes. I wasn't sure if it was sarcasm or a true compliment. Either way, I wasn't ready to accept one.

"I'll be back in a few hours," I told the gang, grabbing a sack out of a chest. "I've got work to do."

...

((9th of Sun's Height, 4E 205, 11:19 a.m.))

I hauled the massive burlap sack up to the Skyforge, where I hoped to find Eorlund Gray-Mane. As always, the smith was tending the forge. I called out a greeting to the Nord and hurried up the steps. With care, I laid out my plans and handed him the supplies I'd need.

"I don't know," he rumbled, scratching his chin. "I'd need your measurements, and I don't want to push any boundaries—"

"No problem. I trust you, Eorlund. I've known you for years," I emphasized, holding out my arm. "Go ahead." With a bit of hesitation, the Gray-Mane elder pulled out a few leather strips and laid them out. I flinched a bit when he touched my midriff, but held in a chuckle as he finished.

"Got it. It'll take me a few hours, and..."

"That's fine. Want me to stay?" I found myself wanting to spend as much time with him as possible. He'd been like a father to me, alongside Kodlak. If I was never to see him again, then I wanted to make the most of our time. As he hammered away at my new armor and weapon, out of his mouth spilled story after story about each of the Companions.

"You wouldn't believe it, would you?" Eorlund laughed.

"No! Farkas really used to do that? Why didn't I know?"

"Indeed! Until he was eight years old!" We exchanged stories and songs until he was finished. I admired the complete set and turned it around. 

"This is fantastic," I praised. 

"Oh, go on. You make an old man very proud. Come home safe, remember that." His usually gruff tone became soft. 

"I'll try." My voice cracked. "Goodbye, Eorlund." I threw my arms around him, hoping that I'd see him again.

...