The Pursuit Pt. 1

WBE: 1,568
WAE: 3,345

----------

((31st of Evening Star, 4E 202))

The sense of foreboding refused to fade away. I shuffled slowly through the street, unable to rid myself of the sensation that something was wrong. I wasn't clairvoyant, but was still terrified of the ominous air. My hesitation slowed me down as I headed for the Temple of Mara, forgetting that I was to meet Karliah in the Ragged Flagon. Pressing the button to activate the coffin, I descended the stone stairs to the trapdoor.

I tugged at the handle, both confused and disheartened when it wouldn't open. Scouring my pack and every pouch I had, the key to the door remained missing. "Damn," I swore, staring at the inaccessible passageway helplessly. After so long of walking and staying away from the Thieves Guild, I wanted a shortcut. "Why would they lock it?" It only took a few seconds to realize I had a single option: the Ratway. Annoyed, I pulled the wall chain to close the coffin and darted out before it could crush me.

The Ratway was unlocked, as opposed to the once-easy access to the cistern. Habit had driven me to the back of the Temple, and pure annoyance hit me when I came to the drawbridge. It was pulled up, preventing me from reaching the Ragged Flagon so easily. "Why do I have to start over?" A chill crept up my spine when I paused, knowing something was missing. My fingers found the amulet at my neck, soothing me as best it could.

The ominous air remained with me as I retraced my path through the Ratway. During this time, I continued to ponder what was wrong with this case. A stone fell in the distance, the noise startling me. With that, I instantly recognized what was wrong. There was no laughter coming from the Ragged Flagon, no chatter or clanks of mugs.

It all served to thicken the tension in the air, electrifying as it forced unease upon me. My mind began to race, the negative energy hanging outside the door bringing doubt. What exactly was going on? What if we couldn't manage to convince the Guild? Perhaps they'd decide to convict me as well, tossing me away like an old cup that had lost use.

What if they killed me for allying myself with who they saw as the Guild's worst enemy?

My heart began to pound, the frantic palpitations only furthering my anxiety. Despite all of this, I tried to force myself to calm down, only managing to do so when I reached for Brynjolf's amulet. I realized it had become a grounding device for me, bringing me peace when I had none.

Brynjolf. What would he say at my return? He couldn't be impassive. He was one of the very few who had managed to earn a place within my heart, and the only one who'd wheedled his way in so quickly. Damn the Nord. If anything, surely my friend would believe me. After all, he'd stuck with me since the very beginning, helped me and protected me from the wrath of the others. 

With this in mind, I steeled myself and opened the door.

...

The inside was cold, the dark tension almost palpable. Despite the familiarity of my surroundings, I felt the need to hide myself from whomever was in the Flagon. Drawing my hood up over my head, I slunk through the tavern while trying to locate Karliah.

I spotted her fairly easily, located in Tonilia's usual spot. The Redguard had vanished, and with a quick survey of my surroundings, I realized that most of the others were gone as well. Only three of my fellow Guildmembers remained in the room, eyeing me skeptically.

"I'm here." I could hardly hear my own voice as I reached the Dunmer, and she faced me slowly. Stress lines had etched themselves upon her blue-gray skin.

"I'm glad you're here," she murmured with a slow nod. "I think some of these people are beginning to suspect who I am." We were both receiving suspicious leers from the three people in the Flagon. Vekel, Dirge and Sapphire all were frozen with mistrust.