Khenarthi's Roost

WBE: 1,586
WAE: 2,197

((13th of Sun's Height, 4E 205, 6:03 a.m.))

For some reason, I'd been unable to let go of Brynjolf, and he'd moved into my own bed. When I woke up from a dreamless sleep, my head was resting on his arm. I savored the moment, aware that it would end and that everything would go back to hell as soon as I got up.

The morning light streamed into my eyes. "Russet? What's he doing?" I realized that Farkas was staring, and my cheeks reddened when Bryn's arm tightened around me.

"She had the nightmare," he informed the Companion. "So here I am."

"I would have been able to protect you," Farkas said crossly, sad eyes meeting my own just before he turned away with a huff. Brynjolf glanced at me, seemingly unaware of my own mental battle.

"Hello, lass."

"Good morning," I choked out. "I..." I inhaled deeply, trying to get my thoughts together. "Thanks for keeping me company, Brynjolf." I forced down the urge to stay with him, trying to keep my feelings from surfacing again. I hated the fact that I'd apparently felt this way for some time.

Damn you, Nocturnal.

...

((13th of Sun's Height, 4E 205, 6:18 a.m.))

After I got up, I joined Ma'kaddi and the rest of the party for a morning meal that consisted mostly of small fish and mutton.

"Forgive me," Ma'kaddi rasped. "This one did not expect guests yesterday, so there is not much to share."

"I thank you for doing so." I smiled. We ate in silence, and after we'd finished, we were ushered out the door. Karliah gave me a sideways glance, and her silent question rang clear. I shook my head, denying it all.

...
((13th of Sun's Height, 4E 205, 9:46 a.m.))

The air in the jungle was humid. Sweat beaded my forehead, and mosquitoes swarmed us. My face was the only flesh I exposed, and red bumps dotted the skin. Brynjolf and Karliah were unaffected, covered by their Nightingale garb.

"Damn these bloodsuckers," Farkas cursed, slapping at his face. Bryn chuckled in amusement, earning a glare from the Companion. His head turned slightly towards me, walking just behind Farkas. In that moment, I didn't want to be near Brynjolf.

It was a mixture of shame and self-preservation. I'd opened up again to someone who had the power to destroy me with a single sentence, and I figured he could easily use my weakness against me.

So I built up my walls once more and remained next to Farkas. At least I felt comfortable near the big bear of a man.

A twig snapped ahead, followed by a low growl. My hair stood on end, and I knew that a fight was incoming. A guttural roar burst into the hot air, and we readied our weapons. Farkas assumed a bent position as if he was about to take on the form of a wolf.

A massive wildcat the size of a mammoth leapt from the jungle with fangs longer than my arm bared in anger. Golden fur matted with dark red blood glinted with the moisture that hung in the air.

"Is this thing what that cat-woman was talking about?!" Farkas crouched low to the ground and began to shake. Black fur grew from his skin as he took his lycanthropic form. With a howl, he sprinted forward and sliced his claws down the huge Khajiit's body.

Karliah loosed arrow after arrow, but the beast brushed them off as if they were toothpicks. Brynjolf swung his swords, though they did about as much damage as Karliah's arrows. It roared furiously and slammed its claws down on Bryn, and I cried out instinctively in fear for his life.