Chapter Eight: It's A Match!

Jungkook was taping his fist with hand-wrap, sitting in the corner of the Seoul University boxing ring. Namjoon leaned against the thick ropes next to him, finishing up a call.

Having introduced Jungkook to boxing as a way to cope with thirst when he'd first turned, Namjoon coached him anytime he visited with Seokjin. Jungkook liked to take advantage of the guys calm attitude and astute mind when he could. He was also in his off-season, boxing for the workout more so than for any strict championship, so Jungkook could afford the coaching switch up.

"Jin just called, he says he can't make it." Namjoon said as he handed Jungkook a water bottle. Jungkook placed it down by his feet as he wrapped his fist a little tighter.

He did a quick scan of who was in the gym. His opponent hadn't come yet, which was shit sportsmanship on his part since their match started in thirty minutes. The crowd was made up of a scatter of students, some younger boxers who wanted to watch the older kids fight, gym staff, and of course Namjoon too.

Like he said: off-season.

Jungkook poked his cheek with his tongue, ignoring the panic nestling into his stomach at the one face missing in the crowd he really wanted to see.

"What about Tae?" Jungkook asked and Namjoon sighed.

"They're both going to miss the match. Jin's meeting with the other vampire prince at some fancy restaurant tonight and Taehyung asked to come with him. Said he wanted a free meal."

Jungkook clipped the tape and pulled another strand with his teeth from the coil, starting to wrap his other hand.

"Oh." He just said, making a mental note to beat the unliving shit out of Taehyung the next time he saw him for choosing food over their friendship. "He didn't say anything to me about it."

"Yea Jin said Taehyung caught him walking to the car and just split second decided to come. You know Jin, he's never going to say no to either of you wanting to spend time with him."

"It's fine." Jungkook shrugged off, scanning the crowd again as Namjoon put focus mitts on his hands, stepping into the ring so Jungkook could start loosely warming up his reflexes.

Jungkook did another quick scan for Jimin in the crowd only to find empty seats. He poked his cheek again with his tongue, focusing on Namjoon's increased movements of varying hand placements and swiping above Jungkook's head so he'd duck.

"Stressed? I heard you're taking some hard classes." Namjoon said as he noticed Jungkook amp up the strength of his practice hits.

Jungkook just huffed.

"Yea, I have a really hard music theory class I'm taking and the TA isn't helping."

Namjoon nodded, flipping the focus mitts down so Jungkook could warm up his kicks.

"I get that, TA's really make or break a class. If you ever need help, just call me. I'm kinda a producer myself. I'm working on a little album thing - not to release obviously but I might be able to help you with your music stuff."

"Thanks Namjoon." Jungkook said as he went for a hit rotation. "It's called Indigo, right? Your album? I think we talked about it last time you came. Remember Tae got too drunk to feed so you and I had to wait at the club while Seokjin drove him home."

Namjoon laughed, "Yea, that was an interesting blood spree. I'm pretty sure Taehyung actually stole my car keys that night and tried to trade them for alcohol from the bartender."

Jungkook laughed, finally some tension leaving his shoulders before a whistle blew to get off the boxing ring so that it could be prepped for the match. Jungkook tried to stretch the disappointment out of his system, lifting his hands overhead and extended the tight muscles.