Chapter 21

Katherine's POV

I stood in front of the class as I held the papers in my shaky hands, trying to calm myself as I was about to present our presentation. Today was the day that Aiden and I were supposed to present our project that we worked hard on, but the irritating thing is that... Aiden is absent.

How am I supposed to do this alone? He's the confident one out of both of us, and I'm just some girl who likes to study. I'm not actually good at public speaking, it's a relatable thing as an introvert, and now that he's not here...I'm panicking as I feel my heart beating louder and louder.

I looked up at the audience to see them all staring at me in judgment, making me more anxious and lowering my head again as I cleared my throat. I closed my eyes before taking a deep breath and facing everyone again. "Good afternoon everyone, I— I'm Katherine Hartz. Today we will discuss the research I found on the sport of archery."

"I— umm, I mean, A-archery is one of the fear— I mean— uhh..." I felt my heart beating rapidly as my dignity broke in front of everyone's eyes. I kept stuttering, and it was really really bad....

What am I supposed to do?

This is so embarrassing...

"I— umm..." I heard giggles coming from my left, making me look in the direction. I saw Libby with a proud smirk on her face as she laughed at my misery. I clenched a fist, holding the paper in my hands as I gulped the lump in my throat. I was trying to hold back my tears from falling, I can't let them see me vulnerable.

I was about to speak again when the bell rang, saving my ass from this huge embarrassment. My prof dismissed us, telling us that I will continue the presentation next week. As the teacher left, so did the students. One by one they stood up from their seats as they looked at me with different emotions. Some had a disgusted expression, some had pity and some were laughing.

Libby stood up walking towards me with her minions, bumping my shoulder as she said, "See you later loser!" They laughed as they walked past me. I took a deep breath, closing my eyes shut as I calmed myself down.

I can't.

I can't let them see me weak.

I then ran out of there, I wanted to be alone and think. I know I can't do that with all these people, so I decided to go to the rooftop. I sat down at the bench, here on the rooftop. I was staring at nowhere, not wanting to move or speak.

What kind of birthday gift is this universe?

I feel awful, sad, and embarrassed.

I was peacefully staring at the sunset, I was in deep thought when I felt my phone in my pocket vibrate. I took my phone out of my pocket as I looked at the screen. I saw Zoe's number pop up on the screen, she was calling me. I answered the phone, waiting for Zoe's voice.

"Kat, where are you?" She asked.

"I'm already home, our class ended early today." I lied. I just want to be alone for now.

"Oh, alright I'll see you tomorrow then." She hung up without letting me speak. I sighed in sorrow as I closed my eyes to feel the cool breeze passing through my face.

She forgot.

Everyone did.

I know it sounds kind of dramatic but I somehow felt pain, especially when my favorite person and my best friend forgot my birthday. I shrugged off my thoughts as I held back my tears. I am not going to cry over this, I won't. I convinced myself.