Chapter 3

"Shit" She cursed under her breath.

"You may sit beside Aiden Blackstone, Aiden please raise your hand." Mrs. Adams commanded.

The black haired guy whom she was trying to avoid raised his hand letting her know where she was supposed to sit. Beside him ... Katherine took a step forward as her heartbeat fastened. She then started to walk towards her seat beside the man that has the name of Aiden Blackstone. She avoided his gaze on her as much as she could, not wanting to see or face the man beside her.

"What happened to the girl who bravely stared at me the other day? She seemed to have drained her courage out today." a deep voice was heard, making her flinch. She was beyond shock. He remembered ... Katherine closed her eyes tightly, still looking away from the man beside her.

She felt embarrassed, she didn't even know what to say. He was about to say something again when she couldn't hold it anymore as she cut him off, not letting him finish what he was about to say.

"Well—"

"Look, I ... I'm really sorry for staring at you that day, I didn't mean to ... I was just—" Before she even finished her sentence, Aiden cut her off with a smirk curved on his lips.

"Stunned by my looks?" He finished her sentence.

Katherine frowned at the man thinking if she heard right. Cocky, but ... true, I guess. She thought she must've boosted the man's ego ... or was he always like this? She stared at him weirdly for a good at least 4 seconds as she shook her head.

"Don't worry, you're not the first. I'm used to it."

Katherine scoffed quietly, looking away from his direction. She didn't expect him to be like this at all.

Time passed by as the class finished, and most of the time Katherine always tried to answer whenever there was a recitation. However, she had a competition—well, only one competition to be exact—Aiden also answers the questions and most importantly, he answers them correctly unlike her—most of her answers were wrong. She started to see Aiden Blackstone as her rival as she was very annoyed every time he answered right or he answered first.

The bell rang indicating the break time of the students as the silent hallways were now noisy and full of students. Katherine stood up from her seat avoiding Aiden but his voice was again heard behind her, making her flinch a little.

"Better luck next time Katherine, it's good to finally have a competition in my studies. How challenging." He whispered, following a chuckle from him.

"I told you to call me Kat, I don't like being called by my whole name." She replied annoyed.

"I know, and that's why I keep doing it." He replied. She could feel him smirking behind her as her anger grew more. She then turned around to face him, he was towering over her as he was taller than her.

"You can tease me all you want, but I'm not giving up." She glared at him, she was clearly annoyed by him.

A chuckle escaped his lips as he shook his head a little, "It's cute that you're thinking that you can outsmart the top student don't you think?" He smirked as he ruffled Katherine's hair, walking out past her figure. The girl turned to look at him to see him still looking at her as he winked at her.

"Hey you!—" She was cut off by her best friend Zoe as she looked at her with a grin on her face.

"What?" Katherine asked.

"What was that?" Zoe asked as the grin on her lips widened.

"What do you mean?" Katherine asked, confused.