Chapter 8

Words. Aiden's words were running in Katherine's head all day. She felt her heart clenched as she remembered how pain flashed in his eyes. She was hurt by the fact that she was the reason for it.

Why?

Why do I feel hurt?

Why would I feel hurt because he's in pain?

She asked herself these questions as she was confused by her own feelings. She didn't know what's happening inside her heart as it felt like it's being torn apart. Her thought was interrupted when she felt someone sat beside her. She looked up to see Sarah, her classmate.

"Do you need anything?" Katherine asked. She was confused as to why she was sitting on Aiden's seat.

"Oh, Aiden wanted to exchange seats." She explained as she went back on what she was doing before.

Katherine looked at where Sarah used to sit as she saw Aiden sitting there. She was sitting beside Libby. He seems to look like he was bored and unbothered while Libby was clinging on to him.

Why would he sit next to her?

Katherine asked herself. She felt her heart breaking just knowing that Aiden was not beside her but her heart breaks more seeing her with another woman. Especially the woman who has all she is insecure about. Katherine took a deep breath as she closed her eyes trying to focus on the class.The class was not as competitive as it used to be. Aiden wasn't answering when he was asked a question, instead he ignored the teacher. Katherine always answered correctly while Aiden wasn't even trying to beat her.

I should be happy that I don't have to compete with him anymore right? She asked herself. She should be happy now, yet the feeling of longing was the feeling that is in her heart. She felt like something was missing, as if she had lost something important, but she doesn't know what it is.

What's wrong with me?

Time passed by, the bell finally rang making the students stand up from their seats and walk out of the classroom. Katherine turned to Aiden's seat, hoping that she would see him. Instead, she saw an empty seat. He was already gone.

She rushed out of her classroom to the cafeteria as she sighed. As usual, Aiden was sitting with Julian while they were eating lunch. Katherine spotted Zoe as she waved her hand, Katherine waved back at her as she walked towards her. They then ordered their food as they sat on their usual seat.

Katherine looked at the food, it was indeed appetizing yet she didn't feel like eating. She silently plays with her food as her mind flies with her thoughts. Zoe noticed her behavior making her frown in confusion, Katherine was usually the loud talkative girl. Today, Katherine seems to have something bothering her.

"What's wrong?" Zoe asked. Katherine looked up to see her, she looked down as she shook her head from left to right.

"I ... I just don't feel like eating ..." Katherine answered as she flashed a fake smile. Zoe, as her best friend noticed it. She carefully observed her, she found her looking sadly at something far away. She frowned as she looked To the direction where she was looking.

It was Aiden's table, Aiden was smiling at Julian who was talking about something. Zoe looked back to Katherine to see her still looking at them with regret in her eyes. Zoe looked back to Aiden as she was still confused. Aiden suddenly turns his head towards their direction as his eyes meet Katherine's.

Aiden looked at her coldly yet sadness was visible in his own eyes. He then shifted his gaze away from her as she continued eating. Zoe then looked back at Katherine, she gulped as she looked down at the ground.