017 | HONEST

017 | HONEST

( honest — the neighbourhood )

❝ i wish you could be honest,
i wish you could be honest with me ❞

❝ i wish you could be honest, i wish you could be honest with me ❞

MANHATTAN, NEW YORK
___________________________

        IT WAS ROUGHLY MIDNIGHT when Jordan got home. Aspen had cleaned up the whole apartment, picked up the broken pieces of the china plate from the floor, discarded of the shards of glass from the picture frame that had been knocked off the wall, and scrubbed off all the blood red writing from the bathroom mirror.

Aspen had gotten dressed into some satin pyjamas, and was sitting on the couch reading a fashion magazine when there was a knock at the door. This time, she'd been tracking Jordan's phone ever since he texted her to say he was on his way back from the Mets game, so she knew it was actually him at the door this time and not a paid assassin.

Aspen put down the magazine, ran a hand through her hair as she let out a deep breath. She wasn't sure what Jordan was about to talk to her about or tell her about, but after the night she'd had, she wouldn't rule anything out.

"Hey," she smiled as she opened up the door, welcoming her fiancé inside, "How uh— how was the game?"

Jordan bent down to give her a chaste, soft kiss to the lips before pulling off his coat and hanging it up, "It was great, the Mets crushed it."

Aspen smiled, closing the door behind him as she locked it, setting the keys back down on the table.

"Glad to hear it," Aspen replied, smiling a little awkwardly in a pursed, line-like smile, nodding her head.

Her and Jordan stood in the foyer of their apartment, a few meters apart, facing each other and just staring at one another. Aspen could see from the look on his face he knew something.

"Are you okay?" she asked with genuine sympathy, and a little nervousness, "You said we needed to talk—"

"Yeah, we do." Jordan sighed, pointing his head in the direction of the couch, signalling for them to sit down for this conversation.

Aspen followed him over to the couch where she'd been previously sitting, reading a Vogue magazine as she was waiting for him to get home. She sensed that Jordan seemed nervous about this too, and she was getting more and more worried.

She wanted to be honest with him, so badly. He deserved the truth, the whole truth. He deserved to know the woman he wanted to marry.

But it was starting to become more complicated than that. Jordan may have deserved the truth, but the truth could also put him in danger. Even by keeping him in her life, Aspen was putting him in danger.