004 | ONE FOR THE ROAD

( one for the road — arctic monkeys )

❝ from the bottom of your heart,
the relegation zone
i saw this coming from the start,
the shake, rattle and roll ❞

❝ from the bottom of your heart, the relegation zone i saw this coming from the start, the shake, rattle and roll ❞

MANHATTAN, NEW YORK

____________________________

ASPEN FINALLY FINISHED UP WORKING LATE A FEW NIGHTS LATER, and packed up all the files into a neat pile on her desk, grabbing her blazer-coat from the coat hanger. She'd been working late every single night for the past three nights on her new case, but tonight she had plans to see an old friend.

Jackson Whittemore.

She got in the elevator and headed out of the office building complex, wrapping her coat around her tightly for warmth as she stepped out into the cold Manhattan late-night air.

Her and Jackson had agreed on a place nearby to meet up at, it was just a few blocks down from Aspen's office. When she finally arrived at the restaurant stroke bar, she opened the door and immediately saw the Whittemore man sat all alone with a beer bottle in his hand, staring into space lifelessly.

Aspen's heart immediately grew heavy—she couldn't imagine what Jackson was feeling right now. Aspen had lost a lot of people before, but she never lost Stiles to such a fait.

Jackson noticed the brunette woman headed over to him, and he stood up off the bar stool he was perched on and gave her a forced, tight-lipped smile.

"Oh my God, Jack..." Aspen sighed with a heavy heart, engulfing him in a hug, "I am so so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine what you must be going through..."

Jackson hugged her bag tightly, taking in a deep breath as he wrapped his arms around her back. Aspen had only been about ten minutes late for the time they agreed to meet at, but Jackson had been drinking all afternoon to try and numb his pain.

"Thank you, Asp," Jackson replied, "It's nice to see a friendly face after... well.... you know."

The pair eventually pulled away from their hugging embrace, and Jackson indicated to the barstool opposite the table he was sat at, telling her to have a seat. She took off her blazer-style trench coat and draped it over the back of the stool and sat down. She was still in her office clothes—which consisted of a navy blue pencil skirt and a white chiffon blouse.

"So," Aspen sighed a little awkwardly, not knowing what to say under the circumstance of them meeting, "How long have you been in the city?"

"A couple months," Jackson replied—his voice very drone-like, monotone, and emotionless. "Ethan and I were here for a weekend trip, when.... when it happened."