Chapter 63

"Argh...", Zoey grunted as she opened her eyes slowly.

Her eyes adjusted to a bright light and voices around from everywhere.

"Easy, ma'am. Do you know who you are?", a man in blue scrubs and a white coat to complement the look

"Wh-what's going on...?", Zoey questioned as she woke up slowly and held her head in her hands.

"Ma'am, you have been in a car accident, it's best if you take a rest after answering some questions for us.", the doctor stated.

Zoey nodded.

"Do you know what your name is?", the doctor asked.

"Of course, I'm....", Zoey frowned as cleared her throat.

"I'm Zoey.", she stated.

"Good. Do you know where you are at the moment?", the doctor questioned.

"Yes, I'm in a hospital.", she said.

"And lastly...do you know which year this is?", the doctor asked.

"Yeah, it's 2015.", Zoey said confidently.

The doctor and the nurse exchanged worried looks.

"What's going on...?", Zoey asked.

"Well...you've been in a car accident, there was a truck that hit you while you were driving. And the year is 2018.", the doctor said softly as he placed a hand over Zoey's.

Zoey kept quiet and her body went stiff.

"T-that's impossible, it has to be...right...?", Zoey looked at the doctor and then at the nurse, confused.

Just then, the door swung wide open.

"Where's my daughter!", Leo yelled.

As soon as his eyes met hers, he ran to her and hugged her tightly.

"Oh god...Zoey...I'm so sorry, please forgive me.", Leo said.

"D-dad...I-"

Zoey was cut off by the doctor's voice.

"I think it's best to talk about your daughter's state of mind first.", the doctor said as he stood up.

Leo nodded and followed behind the doctor as they left the room. Leo gave Zoey a warm smile before he could close the door. As soon as he caught up with the doctor's speed, Leo grabbed the doctor by the collar and pushed him against the wall.

"What the hell did you do Zoey, Edward!", Leo yelled at the doctor.

"Nice to see you too, Mr. Smith, or should I say... Mr. Emmerson.", Edward laughed as he lowered his surgical mask to his chin.

"Why the hell is Zoey involved in a car accident with you?"

"Oh...Mr. Emmerson... I'm trying to complete what you could never do. You had a weapon living with you, but you did absolutely nothing! I'm going to prove to you how powerful she can be.", Edward stated.

Leo punched him square in the face.

"Leave her out of this.", Leo said before he could let go of Edward.

"I don't understand what type of leader would kill his pregnant wife and keep the daughter alive, even though she's not yours. What are you trying to do, are you trying to mold her into whatever you want or are you keeping her as punishment for yourself, or... did you go soft?", Edward asked, making Leo freeze.

"That was easy. And don't worry Mr. Emmerson, I'll protect her with my life, I mean it."

Leo walked away.

Edward huffed as he ran a hand through his hair and adjusted his clothes before he could walk back into the room. Edward turned his head to the glass pieces that once held water inside, shattered. He could hear sounds of retching, he frowned as he walked into the bathroom to see Zoey vomiting and the nurse holding her hair back.

"What's going on?", Edward asked the nurse.

"S-she....she can't stop vomiting blood! I don't understand what's going on.", the nurse stated frantically.

"What the hell did you do to me doc?", Zoey asked as she leaned against the bathtub and used a towel to wipe her mouth.

"Miss Smith, you've lost a lot of blood during the accident so we gave you a blood transfusion, but it seems that your body is rejecting it, I don't understand why though. This doesn't make sense.", Edward said as he poured Zoey a glass of water for her to drink.

"Hah! No shit Sherlock.", she said as she took the glass of water and drank it.

Edward gestured for the nurse to leave them both alone for a little while, and so she did so. Edward sat next to her.

"What do you remember before the accident?", he asked.

"Uhm...I argued with my dad about my mother's death and I drove off in anger. Wait. Where is my dad?", Zoey asked frantically.

"Don't worry Miss Smith, I explained to your father that you need some time to rest, which clearly seems like it and I said that we will take good care of you. He was a bit hesitant at first, but he left.", Edward said. "Well...I'll leave you to it. I've got to check on other patients, let me help you to bed."

Zoey nodded as she grabbed hold of Edward's hand as he led her to the bed. Edward covered her with a blanket and left her alone for a little while.

Edward stormed out of the room as he walked into another room behind Zoey's room and slammed the door.

"Why the hell is she vomiting out the blood we gave her, she's going to die like that!", Edward yelled at the nurse as he looked at Zoey through the glass that Zoey didn't know about.

"I don't seem to understand it either, how is it possible that her body is so strong to fight.", the nurse stated as she took off her wig and mask, exposing her deep red hair. "That was an exhausting role to play as a weak nurse.", Sabrina huffed out and rolled her eyes as she threw the pops on the floor.

"You did a good job, don't worry about it.", Edward said as he placed a hand on her shoulder. "Let's give her some time to adjust to the environment, we'll take her out later on and we'll see what we can do to convince her to work with us."

Sabrina huffed out.

"Go get some rest Eddie, we got a long weekend ahead of us.", she stated before she could leave.

Edward nodded.

"Let's see if you can change this time, Zoey. Mr. Emmerson won't be pleased if otherwise.", Edward said.

He left the room and walked through the hallway which had a slogan on the wall behind him, he stop and turned around, letting out a scoff.

'Vampires deserve to burn. Our company protects the world.'

"You really don't know how to convince people.... Mr. Emmerson?", Edward muttered under his breath.