24

Another really long chapter! I have made a slight error though because I'm away on a work trip for the next couple of days and I have another busy weekend and I haven't got any chapters stored up after this...so there might be quite a while until another upload - it depends on whether I try to edit in a different way...sorry!
Either way enjoy this long chapter!
*****

Two days later

"I still can't believe you are both here," Trijta says as he looks at Max and I on the sofa in front of him and we exchange a look before letting out breathy chuckles of agreement. We're sat separate on the sofa, pinkies lightly interlaced. "Alright, well, I know a lot of what's gone on...but why don't you tell me where you're at right now?"

I look at Max who just looks at me and realise that he wants me to take the lead. "Right, well, we spoke the other day and decided we want to be together but we don't want it to go wrong - we don't want to just repeat history so...here we are. We're dating but not necessarily in a relationship," I say and Trijta nods in understanding.

"Where did you have your first date then?" He asks and I frown as I look at Max.

"We haven't yet..." Max says guiltily.

"It's my fault, I've been so tired and I have to leave again later today to go to England...but we will," I say certainly and Trijta smiles.

"So, you guys haven't seen each other since you agreed to this, right?"

We shake our heads. "We've seen each other every day," I admit and Trijta sighs.

"What?... I thought you were dating, back to square one, re-meeting each other. That's what you said Elodie?"  He asks me confused and I just nod equally confused. "People that are 'dating' do not spend every day together...you're meant to be taking it slow..." he criticises us and we both cringe as we nod. "Alright...no hanging out together like that again. The next time you two see each other, it is on a date." He says creating a new rule. I bite my lip uncertainly but see Max nodding and so I agree. "Alright, now let's get some of the nasty stuff out on the table. Max, why didn't you tell me you proposed to Elodie?" He says turning his head to the shocked Dutchman beside me who just opened and closed his mouth with no response adequate formulating in his mind. "Great, you think on that, Elodie, are you willing to let this be a public relationship?"

Now it's my turn to be silent and startled, both of us sit in silence with the therapist just watching us and I'm reminded of how big of a hill there will be to climb for us to get somewhere good.

"Alright. Both of you need to have answers for those questions next session, in the meantime, is there anything that you want to say to each other?" He says and we both nod at the first bit. I stutter lightly as I know there's something I want to say and I know it's kind of big and so I keep my mouth shut instead and just shake my head.

"I-I," Max says from beside me and I turn to look at him fully.

"To Elodie, not to me," Trijta instructs and Max redirects his focus to me, his face softening in the process.

"I love you," he whispers softly and I nod smiling as I take his hand in mine more confidently, aware that it's not quite what he was intending to say but that it was still good.

"I love you too," I whisper back with a smile on my face as I give his hand a comforting squeeze.

We finish the session soon after because I have to leave and Trijta has another client soon after us.

"So go on a date, do it properly. Figure out some answers to those questions...figure out some questions for each other...oh and one last thing," he pauses as he looks at the two of us, holding hands in his doorway, our attention on the therapist. "No sex."