28

Max's POV

Elodie went on to win the next four races in a row, grabbing the bonus points for fastest laps each time and proving herself right about having a good day. Red Bull Ring to Silverstone, a two week break and then she won Suzuka and Canada. I couldn't have been more amazed by her and every week that I saw her receive her medals in the sprints and on the podium I realised how much I was itching to be up there with her. Along with this the second drivers in the other teams both took several podiums and wins in the following races in Singapore and Shanghai meaning that Elodie was fully back in the conversation for the championship once more.

I had gone into retirement to figure things out about what I wanted and I was beyond ecstatic that in doing so Elodie and I had managed to figure out our own situation. Knowing that she wanted kids in the future made me beyond happy but it also meant that I now knew that I had a couple more years left in me before the family life I had been daydreaming of came into realisation at the very least because Elodie had been very honest about the fact that she still wasn't ready to become a mum but promised to talk to me about it before she would sign any sort of an extension with Mercedes...that meant at least three more years and I was genuinely on board with that. There was a vague timeline laid out and she had said she was open to talking about it sooner but that her preference was in fact after that point.

Which is why I was here. Nervously standing outside Christian's office door. Just knock, I tell myself and before I can even think I've done it.

"Come in," I hear Christian call out and so I push the door open. "Max? What are you doing here?"

"Er, Elodie was visiting Brackley so I hitched a lift to the UK and thought I'd drop by," I tell him the lame excuse I had come up with and he nods, clearly unconvinced by my response as he motions for me to take my seat which I do swiftly.

"What can I do for you?" He asks and I look around the room. The next race was France. The final race before summer.

"Er...I can't believe I'm saying this but..."

"Is there any way you can come back?" He asks smirking, finishing my sentence and I nod as I watch him uncross his arms and smile at me. "I knew you would be back," he says smugly and I just shake my head smiling at him as I wait for an answer. "Of course, we can look at things but I can't lie...it would be rather different. Pierre has got us tied in a very neat bow with his contract that makes him first driver...if we tried to make our way out of it it'll cost us more than a pretty penny." He informs me and my eyebrows rise up my head in surprise. "He was pretty adamant that he got total prioritisation after waiting for so many years for his shot in the team..." Christian explains and I let out a low whistle of realisation.

Leaving had meant that Pierre truly was by far the best option that Red Bull had for the foreseeable future and he knew it as Red Bull had now managed to lose two top-tier drivers in three years. Pierre clearly made them make sure it wasn't three in four.

"You'd be in a competitive car and you would get podiums and points and wins...but I couldn't make you the first driver. Things would be difficult for you - they would be harder and I just want you to know that straight up now because I know how good your life is going right now. I don't want to con you back into a game you are destined to lose and have your competitive head get in the way of other stuff." Christian tells me honestly and I nod slowly.

"Why are you telling me this?" I ask him frowning, surprised at the openness and he sighs and looks at me guiltily.

"Because of the way I fucked things up for you before...I just can't help but wonder if you and Elodie would be further along in your relationship if I hadn't gotten in the way on the side of the job before..." Christian says frowning at his hands clasped over his chest.