15

I have got so many issues with some of the stuff Max said yesterday. Such as his collision with Hamilton costing him the race win but he knew it wouldn't hurt him because they were too slow over the weekend. Effectively admitting he kind of did it just to screw with Lewis is such bad sportsmanship. Plus all the shit with Perez is dead annoying because I don't understand and likely never will because it's clearly to do with something behind the scenes.

I feel like it's pretty obvious I chose Max as the interest for this story because I do like him and I think it was an interesting dynamic and he was the right driver for this trope. But in this book he is a character...not a representation of him as a person. I've left out some of the problematic stuff he has done and said and twisted reality quite a bit and I don't regret my decision but yeah...it's very much a character for me that's based on him and his character but with a lot of creative direction and choices from me...idk why I even decided to say this but yeah :) maybe I just needed a rant because sometimes he does make it kind of difficult to be a fan of him

*****

Brazil, November 2028

"Hey, Elodie!" I hear a familiar voice call behind me in the paddock and I spin on my heel to see both female drivers walking towards me. I smile warmly at them and wait where I am, happy that my media duties for free practice are done.

"What's up?" I ask as I see cameras begin to document the interaction to my great frustration. "One second, never mind, let's go to the Mercedes motor home - I am fucking done with the press today," I mutter, having had to answer several bullshit questions from a number of outlets so far today, done was an understatement even though I still have the press conference to do. The two girls dutifully follow me and I smile amusedly at their slightly taller frames than me making me look younger than them - despite being a year or two older. We walk in a comfortable silence as we get to the motor home, second on the grid behind Red Bull and I usher the pair inside, my eyes lingering on Max and Pierre who are just walking out of the neighbouring one. I pause, completely caught off guard by Max who seems lighter and happier than he has all season. I don't know how long I was looking but both men turned their eyes to me in synchronisation, however, I only noticed one set of blue eyes as they passed and the unexpected smile they gave me made my stomach flip.

The second Max looked away, I launched myself into the motor home, eager to get rid of any emotions currently running through my body and went to find the two in the cafe area, smiling appreciatively when I see the cappuccino already on the third seat and ready for me. "So, what's up?" I repeat my earlier question and watch the pair exchange looks.

"So, we think...well, we know there's a position going at a top team, wanted your opinion on it?" Lana says and I bite my lip in surprise as I look at them, running through all the information I had and just nod my head, waiting for some missing pieces of the puzzle. "We'd partner a really experienced driver who is fully dedicated to the team...so likely being pushed into the role of second driver."

"But, it would be a top car...I don't mind sitting second driver for a season or two to get out of this seat," Joanna says and I chuckle nodding, well aware of the frustrations she has with her current car's performance or lack thereof.

"Well, rule number one, never let anyone know you're okay with being second driver or that is how they will see you. Make sure you are subtle about it but also keep it out of the contract at all costs, especially because if you go for contract renewal then it'll be renewed as well and that's a mess." I tell them and they both nod appreciatively, listening as I think out loud. "A more experienced driver, doesn't mean much in my opinion - not if you're good enough and can get equal cars, find out if that's something they will consider but if not then you have got to make that decision yourself, are you okay being in an uncompetitive position in a competitive car...will it hurt you or help you?" I continue as I sip my coffee and fall into a bit of a daze thinking back to my time in Red Bull, a soft smile covering my face. "Who is it though? Because Ferrari seems happy with their new lineup, Red Bull is solid in their line up and as far as I'm aware neither myself nor Lando are going anywhere..." They exchange nervous glances, seemingly caught up on the behind-the-scenes gossip and it's a look that makes my blood runs cold. "That doesn't make sense...why, no! Why...what?" My brain goes at startling speeds as my heart races faster than me in my car and I look between the two of them before quickly pushing myself out of my seat and running into the paddock once more where I just saw both Red Bull drivers walk.