19

Long one! Please enjoy! I'll try and get the next chapters edited so I can upload over this weekend!
*****
I stand next to the car as I look around. It's the first time this season that neither Max nor I are starting on the front row, for a reason that isn't engine penalties. It was however because of our engines though, we were both on rather 'well loved' engines and therefore we were a tad slower than both of our teammates who were on newer engines having taken the penalties but both Max and I had opted to not take the penalties and as a result, our cars were just a little asthmatic.

I roll my shoulders and am relieved when the pain is fully gone despite the movement. It had been becoming more dull but I could still feel it since the shot ended up being delayed and I only got it thirty minutes ago. I test it out by swinging both arms and turning my neck to try and elicit some pain but am relieved when I feel no pain. Nick looks at me swinging my arms around like an idiot as I walk around with a smile on my face and he looks at me amused.

"Hey, love this but no - don't do that!" He scolds me and I stop the movement just nodding and smiling at the PT. "You can still do damage even if you can't feel it!" He reminds me and I wince at the reminder as I feel him switch the heat pad that's currently resting on my neck. Well, actually I have a long line of them spreading all across my neck, shoulders and back and as I'm stood on the grid currently stripped of the fireproofs I move my head and brains away from Nick as he takes them off, cautiously prodding me as he does it.

"Got it, post-race?"

"The dose is minimal...but it should get you through the race. They gave you enough for 3-4 hours in the end I think so yeah...I tried to warn them that you had an incredibly fast metabolism and they sort of took it into consideration but were worried about overdosing you and so there's a chance they underdid it." Nick reminds me of what I already knew as I nod, listening intently. "If you have to retire due to pain or numbness you must say. I'm not kidding El, any numbness in your legs - which could happen, then you have to tell us and we will retire the car."

I frown at the words but nod to let him know that I've heard. He keeps running me through different bits of information before he's done and hands me my fireproof top to put back on. I let out a light moan as the heat relief sets into my sore, tense muscles and he lets out a laugh as he walks away and I look around.

One more race and I would be a three-time world champion.

I just had to beat Max...or stay within 10 points. If he comes first and I come third that's fine...so I just need a good start and to stay out of danger.

I look over at Max, I can't help myself and I'm not surprised when I see him staring intensely at me. I walk towards him, aware of the cameras on the two of us and I keep a straight face as he takes steps towards me, walking away from Christian who is indeed looking at me like I'm the golden goose Mercedes stole.

We come close to each other and before I even know what I'm doing, my arms are around his waist as I pull him into a hug for one last time before we race against one another. He wraps his arms around my shoulders and I bury my head in his chest, enjoying the warmth of the moment in what I know must be a very confusing turn of events for fans who have been inundated with photos of us over the last few seasons following a year of bickering and almost a full year of the distance between the two of us.

Max rests his cheek against the top of my head and we both breathe in unison before pulling away at the same time, confident smiles on our faces. I got a message from him a couple of hours ago saying that he understood but asking me to be safe, to which I replied with an article detailing how I remained the safest and least crashing driver on the grid and received a middle finger emoji in response.