The Future of News Part 2.5: Newsflash!

Katie Killjoy was out helping herself to drinks with her friends. They were celebrating a proposal and enjoying themselves. While getting drunk, they started scoping the club for possible one-night stands. Katie wasn't interested in this part until one guy caught her attention. He had long, fiery purple hair and looked more handsome than the average bar patron. He caught her gaze and grinned. Without any hesitation, he walked up and introduced himself. His name was Abaddon, once a librarian while alive and now an avid collector of mysterious and cursed tomes. A moment later, they were talking through the drinks. By the night's end, they had gone to one of the nearby hotels and checked in.

A few months went by, and Katie discovered that she was pregnant. Tom was thrilled to be a father again. When the delivery date came, however, all that burned away. Their daughter looked nothing like him. Tom then thought back to the last time he had slept with his wife. After having two kids, he knew what to expect. And the timeline didn't add up. Tom wasn't the most powerful demon. But he was smart. He knew something was up. But the hospital wasn't the place to mention it. For now, Tom played along. They named her Allope.

A few years passed, and Allope was three years old. Tom decided it was time. Katie was on her way home from a meeting with the 666 News staff. It was the perfect opportunity to confront her. He asked Tiffany and Lincoln to take Allope out for an hour. It didn't matter where. Dad had to deal with mom. Without asking any questions, they took their kid sister and left. When Katie came home, Tom was waiting for her in the foyer. His arms were crossed, and his eyes were glowing bright green under his gas mask. The only look from him could make his wife stop in her tracks. Katie was tired, but that look woke her up.

It wasn't long before the two were yelling at each other again. Tom knew, and he wasn't letting this slide. Katie eventually admitted to her drunken one-night stand after partying with her friends. Of course, Tom expected her to take full responsibility for having an affair. Katie would be the one to explain herself if Allope ever asked why she looked so different from her big sisters and parents. Naturally, Tom treated Allope like his blood daughter. It didn't matter to him if she was from Katie's affair. Just because he was a demon didn't mean he didn't have to be a father. He was cautious with her over the next few years as she grew.

When Allope was five, she finally asked the big question. Of course, Katie hadn't forgotten. She took her daughter aside and explained why she looked different, even though it was mostly just her purple hair. Katie left out the more specific details and only said that mommy made a mistake by liking another guy. Allope didn't understand, being only five, but was satisfied with this answer. Katie knew she'd have to explain everything when her daughter was older. But for now, she sent her on her way to play outside.