Chapter 23: A small village where the mission starts + Author's Note

Flying by the pegasus, Marry was now on the back of me, hugging me as she sat on the back.

She's not scared anymore but rather worried that we might get arrested. I know that since her hand was very cold.

I wanted to make the gloomy atmosphere disappear so I asked her a certain question that could at least change her mind.

“Hey Marry, by any chance, did you see the notification thingy... Like some screen monitor floating...?”

“Screen monitor? What is that? But I know the world notification. I woke up from the tent because of it.” She answered, but it seemed like the flow of our conversation was going back.

“When I heard a ding noise, I woke up and detected some enemies nearby. I also detected you not far away from the tent.” She added.

And it feels like she doesn't like to stop.

“I thought that you betrayed me and sold me because I detected you with another man. After that, the barrier that I settled on was broken by some assassin.”

“I-is that so? You thought I betrayed you?”

“Yes, then I had a fight with that assassin then when I detected you running towards my place, and when I saw you struggling, I was relief that you didn't betray me....”

“Why would you feel relief when I was struggling?”

“...... Because both of us were in trouble? I was happy because Mareine-san didn't betray me...”

“O-Okay...”

“But..... You see the notification right, Mareine-san?” She asked while tightening the grip of her hand from hugging my back.

“Of course.”

“.....Demon lords and Demon kings are the powerful beings, they're our enemies and the nightmare of humanity.”

“Then why aren't you scared that the world might end soon?”

“......?”

Marry looked at me with an astounded, dumbfounded expression. It was like she couldn't believe what she heard.

“M-Mareine san.... You didn't know...?”

“Know what?”

“.... That we don't need to feel scared of them because we have a.... Saints?”

What's this? A religion or something? Wait… Saints? Then maybe God existed?

“I don't know about that Marry.” I responded to her.

“My mother used to tell me bedtime stories about the demon lords, demon kings, and the saints....”

“Oh okay...”

I don't know about this. I should ask and search for more information about this world in some places.

“Wait... Demon king and demon lord... Aren't they the same thing?” I was baffled. I think they're the same but Marry was talking as if they're two separate beings.

“? Mareine-san, Demon king is a higher rank than Demon lord.”

So that was her answer. They're different it seems.

I don't know the topic anymore. I should change the topic to another.

“Marry, what's your skill? I saw you throwing some poker cards and even summoning a creepy king of diamonds.” I said to her, asking; charging the flow of the topic.