Extra: Five-alarm fire

"Mamma?" Carina heard someone ask from the door frame of the room "Are you awake?" A little blonde asked as she played with her sleeves, looking down at her bare feet. 

"I am" the brunette answered as she looked to her daughter's direction "What is it bella?" she asked pulling herself up with her arms, sitting to be able to have a better look at the ten-year-old. Emma, however, didn't respond. She just stood still, looking down without daring to say a word. Of course, this didn't go unnoticed for the Italian, who immediately patted the empty spot next to her "Come here" she said smiling lightly. 

Emma quickly, rushed to her mom's spot of the bed, which was now empty due to a late shift. She climbed on the bed and into the sheets, placing herself as close to her mom as posible. 

Silence filled out the room as Carina ran her fingers through the girl's hair, tangling and untangling little curls she created. She could feel the girl's unsettledness. She could hear it on how her breathing hitched and how her body trembled. 

"You can say it baby" she broke the silence knowing whatever was occupying the girl's mind, it was better to let it out "It's okay" she added, still, Emma was quiet, scared that if said it, it would become more real. If she said it, she wouldn't be able to hold in the tears that were threatening to come out. 

It was late night and Carina looked at her phone intently as she heard her older daughter playing with the boy of the house. Maya should have been at home by now, and that had Carina going crazy internally. It wasn't rare for the blonde to have to stay late at the station whenever she had a late shift, however this time was different. The blonde wasn't picking her phone or even answering texts. It was like she had disappeared. 

"It's mom coming home soon?" Emma, who lifted her gaze from her drawing to look at her mamma from the dining table, asked. 

"I don't know" Carina answered truthfully, managing to give the girl a little smile "I'm sure she will be here soon" she said leaving her phone on the counter walking towards the living room "Now, you bambino, have been up for way too long" she said grabbing the boy from her sister's lap "It's time to go to sleep" 

"Go night-night?" he asked placing his head on her mom's shoulder earning a nod from the Italian. Although he loved the fact that he had been able to stay up for a little longer, it was evident he was tired and that he wasn't going to stay up much longer "Night-night" he said repressing a yawn while hi waved to his sisters.

"Good night monkey" Luna said giving the boy a little smile, before checking her phone 

"See you tomorrow Andrea" Emma said without taking her focus off of her drawing.   

Once Andrea was asleep, and comfortably tucked in his bed, Carina came back to the living room where she was found with a ten-year-old still drawing and a thirteen-year-old with a frown captured on her face. 

"Mom..." Luna called making the Italian worry. When she reached the teen and sat next to her, the little brunette handed her her phone, before giving her sister a quick look.

When Carina grabbed the phone to take a look at what was on the screen, she couldn't help but to gasp. The video looked recent and was filmed from a car that drove near the place.  A huge flame was coming off some buildings illuminating everything around them. A smoke covered the rest of the place causing nearby houses to turn into shadows. Even though the car wasn't even that close, you could still tell this wasn't just a fire. 

"Sofia sent it to me" Luna suddenly said "She was coming home from a trip with her family and there are so many streets cut off that she realized something was up" she explained with a low voice, she was almost whispering "Do you think mom's in there?" the girl asked but the answer never came. Carina could only pray that Maya had not been called to a fire as big as that one, but she knew the probabilities were almost none.