Chapter 5

"Look who's back Em" Maya said to the little five-year-old when she saw her wife and Luna appear. The little girl instantly got excited and made grabby hands towards her sister. Luna got closer and soon understood her sister wanted to be picked up. She did her best trying to hold her but Emma was almost as tall as her so she had to sit down. Emma got comfortable on her sister's lap and layed her head on her sister's chest. 

Luna held her little sister close to her, afraid something could happen to her. While Emma was starting to feel tired, sleep was beginning to take over her. 

"Luna?" the brunette said to the eight-year-old  who, as soon as she heard her name flinched and squezed her sister a little tighter in case the woman has decided that she didn't like them anymore. The kid turned around looking at the woman behind her with clear fear in her eyes and the brunette couldn't help but to feel bad "Dinner's ready" she said gently. At this the kid let out a breath and nodded, she then started to shake Emma awake.  

At the table both women started eating but soon realized the kids weren't even touching the food. Luna was nervously playing with the edge of the tablecloth while Emma looked at her older sister for permission to eat. She knew she had to wait until Luna told her that it was okay but the toddler was hungry and the food looked and smelled good not like in the other house, so she impatiently tugged on her sister's sleeve 

"Can... can we start now?" the little brunette asked almost as a whisper and both women mentally facepalmed themselves 

"Of course you can" Maya said so soft she even surprised herself. Luna looked a little insecure, she started playing with her food and that didn't go unnoticed for Maya "It's good, I promise" she said seeing a bit of herself in the way the kid was acting 

The older kid slowly took a bite of the food,  closing her eyes, waiting for it to be disgusting. To be spicy enough to make her cry or to be so salty making impossible for her to swallow it but that never happened. She opened her eyes and looked at her sister who was trying really hard not break the rules and waited for her sister to nod at her. 

Once that happened Emma started eating, she was a little less tidy than her sister. The food was literaly all over her face 

"Is it good?" the brunette asked the five-year-old who nodded eagerly "I'm glad you liked it" she answered smiling at the kid "Bella? slow down" she said knowing if she kept eating that fast she was probably going to be sick later 

"Hey, can you blame her?"  

After that brief interaction dinner was quiet. Luna had hardly spoken unless it was necessary, she still remembered her last home, it was nice at first but then it wasn't. She was used to moving houses, it always happened, they stayed for a while and then for a reason or an other they had to go. It wasn't that bad... until the last one. Mrs. Smith was nice at first and her husband, well, he wasn't there much so it was fine, but then she left and he got sad and angry. She tried to protect her baby sister as much as she could and she did a pretty good job but this time she knew it was going to be hard. Emma was a loving kid... all cuddly and giggly and these women were being so nice to them, the little girl was going to trust them in no time so she had to be extra careful. 

Both women noticed Luna's attitud, she was quiet, nervous all the time. She freaked out when she realized her sister was left alone with Carina in a room. They didn't had to read the girls' file to know they had been abused. The idea arose in the brunette's mind this morning after the social worker called and that thought was for sure confirmed not only with the pictures but also when she brushed the girl's hair. She could see some bruises that crept from the back of the girl's neck to her shoulders going into the sweatshirt she was wearing. Carina knew she couldn't say anything about it yet, and she knew the girls were safe now that they were with them but still that didn't make her feel any better.