Chapter 30

"Hi there" Amelia said as she knocked the door making the two women inside of the room look towards her. Luna was just enjoying being with her moms again when suddenly she fell asleep, while Carina still caressed the girl's hair and Maya rubbed her thumb against the girl's hand "I'm sorry to interrupt" she apologized 

"It's okay" Carina whispered and Maya nodded 

"A social worker from child protective services is here" the neurosurgeon announced "She said she's Luna's new social worker"

"I'll go" Carina said and Amelia nodded "you stay here with her" the Italian said to her wife that nodded as she held the girl on her lap close to her. 

When Carina and Amelia left the room she couldn't help but to instinctively hold the girl a little tighter against her. Her wife had filled her in about what brought the girl here and why, other that the obvious reasons, they needed to call child services. 

As soon as the blonde woman heard the words rape kit and semen her entire world collapsed. She wanted to scream, to go kill the bastard that dared touch her daughter in that way but mostly she wanted to cry. Luna didn't deserve that, she deserved a happy loving family that took care of her and the one time she seemed to get it, the system failed her  

------------------

"Kristen May" the woman that said to be Luna's new social worker said introducing herself "Pleasure to meet you" 

"Carina DeLuca" Carina said quickly approaching the woman that stood next to the desk 

"Are you Luna's doctor?" the social worker knew Carina was Luna's previous foster mother, so she thought it would be a little strange if the woman was the kid's doctor 

"That would be me" Amelia said interrumping the women conversation "Dr. Sheperd" she introduced herself "Luna arrived unconscious, we were informed by officers that she was hit by a car near the Seattle Bridge" Amelia began explaining to the social worker as they walked towards the girl's room "However, that is not the most serious thing, apart from some scratches, there are no physical damages" she said with a sigh as Carina clenched her fists knowing what was coming "Now the girl presented signs that indicated that she may have been molested"

"What about the father?" Kristen quickly asked.

"We have not been able to contact him" she said noticing that she nodded with Kristen "In this cases we usually perform a rape kit but we cannot do it without the authorization of a guardian"

"I understand" said the woman sighing, she sometimes hated this job "Due to the situation the custody is going to be revoked and acting as her legal guardian you have my authorization"  

"I'm going to go call the nurses" Amelia said receiving a light nod from the social worker before walking off 

Suddenly Kristen's phone rang causing the woman to apologize before walking away to answer it. Taking advantage of the moment alone, Carina entered the room in front of her, meeting her wife and the nine-year-old little girl. 

"Mamma" the girl whispered "you're back" she said making the brunette nod 

"I always come back" she said softly as she sat on the edge of the bed. They were silent for a few minutes until the brunette finally spoke "Bella, can you tell me what happened tonight?" she said softly. Luna, upon hearing the question, could not help but tense in the blonde's arms and simply began to shake her head. 

"You're safe here" intervened the firefighter "you can tell us" she tried to encourage but to no avail 

The brunette looked at the blonde not knowing how to continue. She knew that the best thing was to explain to Luna what was going to happen but for the first time she did not know how to "Luna" the Italian said catching the little girl's attention "the nurses want to do a test on you... because they need to know you are okay" she said looking for the most appropriate words "It's a long test and it's uncomfortable"