Chapter 140 - Race x JoJo

- Chapter 140 - "I'll Get Back to You, I Promise." -
Warnings: the Refuge, isolation, starvation, beatings, blood, injuries, worry, crying, breaking, Snyder the Spider
Canon Era
Third Person POV

As always, thank you to iwantaferret_ for their help lol. Enjoy!

A boy in a pitch-black and empty concrete room rocked back and forth. His hands were wrapped around his legs, pulling them against his chest.

Bugs crawled on the floor around him. His clothes were torn and his hair was a mess from his hand constantly running through it. Blood stained his hands and the roots of his hair and his clothes.

And he kept repeating one phrase.

"I'll make it back to you, I promise."

Elsewhere

A boy laid on his bunk in an almost-empty bunk room, staring at the bland ceiling. There was a bland look on his face, and dry tears covered his cheeks.

Occasionally, Newsies came in and out of the room he was in, while one stayed on the bunk across from him and looked up every so often to make sure he was okay.

And he, too, kept repeating a phrase, over and over in his head.

"I promise I will find you."

Back in the Refuge

The door opened with a loud creaking.

A creaking that rang painfully through the boy's ears. He stopped what he was doing and just stared at the floor.

The man in the doorway smirked. "Still going?"

The boy swallowed hard. He slowly lifted his eyes up and stared at the man with a glare full of what one could only describe as hatred.

Not hatred, but detest.

The man stepped into the room, his footstep echoing through. "You've been in here for ten days now, Higgins," he informed him. "Have you learned your lesson?"

Race refused to respond. He kept his lips closed and sealed shut.

"Oh, come on." Snyder smirked. "You do want to leave and go back to the other boys, don't you?" he questioned, almost as if he knew.

Of course he knew.

Race thrived in social situations with his brothers.

Snyder had seen him in those places.

"Just admit it and you can go back." Snyder held a key, dangling it by the door. "You can leave isolation, have food."

Race hated food, especially Refuge food. He didn't want that.

But it had been ten days since he had spoken to anyone, even Snyder. Ten days in silence, deafening silence alone with his thoughts.

Not even his father had kept him in the closet by his bedroom for that long.

Race swallowed hard. "I-" he hated himself for even considering it. He wanted to go back. He didn't want to stay in here with the bugs and the blood, but something in him couldn't. He couldn't let Snyder win. He gritted his teeth and took a deep breath, "-I hate you, you spider," he spat.