Epilogue

Dakota

Four months later...

Graduation day is a crazy place for Dewbridge, Mississippi. It's treated like a major holiday. Businesses open early, there are celebrations and parties set up in every small restaurant, and every senior is treated like royalty. Apparently, it's a big deal to get a high school diploma in this town. It's even bigger than the prom which was spectacular in every way. Devin wouldn't let me out of his sight the whole night, and it was a Cinderella night to remember. But this day is a whole new level. Maybe every town should adopt this tradition because the number of dropouts is pretty low. They still have them, but statistically it's lower here than the surrounding areas. A knock sounds on the door to our bus before my mom and I hear a yell.

"Ya'll decent in there?"

Devin's voice cuts through the air and mom chuckles. "Lord have mercy, that boy needs a life."

I smile before knocking her on the shoulder. "He has one. I'm standing right here."

Opening the door, I hear my mom mumble. "Good answer, sweetheart. Good answer."

"What's a good answer?" Devin asks.

We share a look before replying simultaneously. "Nothing."

Devin stares back and forth between the two of us before my father pats him on the back from behind as he comes through the door.

"Sometimes it's better to be left in the dark with women, son. If there's any advice I can give you, it'd be that."

Smiling, Devin reaches for my hand and tugs me up against him. "I'll remember that sir."

"You ready?" Devin directs the question at me, and I nod. Smiling, he pulls me behind him toward his car. The school may only be across the street, but Devin has a thing for being gentlemanly the last few months. He's romanced me a million times over and every day I fall more and more in love with him. Today our lives change, and we've worked out the plans together. I got accepted into the University of Alabama. It's a great place to start my studies leading me down the path of one day becoming a doctor and I can cheer my guy on while he takes the football team by storm. And he will because I have enough faith in me for both of us.

"I love you Queen D. I don't know what I did to deserve you, but I love you."

He's parked us near the front of the school without me realizing it. I'd gotten lost in my thoughts. Leaning over, I kiss him gently on the lips before pulling back.

"You didn't need to do anything Devin. You deserve more than you think, but maybe now you'll believe in miracles."

He gives me the grin I love. "I'm pretty sure I started believing in them the first time you sat behind me in class."

"Good then I'd say we're ready to conquer the world."

"Have you told your parent's you want to stay here when they leave today?"

I nod. Devin wanted us to deliver the news together last night, but I asked him to let me do this on my own. My parent's restless spirits are ready to move on, but mine has found its home. We've already made plans to live in his small apartment this summer. Mr. Edwards offered me a job doing paperwork for his garage until Devin and I load up and head toward Alabama for our first semester. We're going to do it together because fate tells us we are. It's not finished with us yet, and until it is we'll continue to forge our paths holding hands.

When I sat down and told my parents, they reacted like I thought they would. Mom cried and dad made me promise to call every single day. They like Devin and have secretly taken him under their wing. Dad still gives him the stink eye on purpose here and there. He says it's to keep him in line, but I personally think it helps him feel like he's playing the dad card better. He doesn't need to though. He's the best dad a girl could ask for.