Chapter 30

Devin

"It's the flu," a female doctor in a white lab coat concludes. "Her swab came back positive."

Sagging in relief against the wall outside Dakota's room, I take a deep breath to settle my nerves. No cancer. I followed the Hall's bus all the way to Tennessee after they refused to let me ride with them. Dakota's mother looked like she wanted to give in, but her father was insistent. In a voice that demanded no argument, he told me I'd have to apologize in person to his little girl before he allowed me in their home. That included a home on wheels. However, he never stated that I couldn't follow them. I'm pretty sure they knew it too because every time I'd get separated, the bus would slow down long enough for me to catch up. It saved me from having to use my GPS on my phone. It also saved the battery since I rushed off without anything but the clothes on my back. I'm thankful that Frank paid me yesterday or I'd be here with an empty wallet as well.

"And her health?" Mrs. Hall asks. "No sign of the cancer returning?"

"We'll run some tests to make sure. It's time for her yearly checkup anyway, but I can tell you that the tests we've run so far have showed no signs. The strand of flu going around this year is particularly bad. We'll make sure to quarantine her to this room for now. We don't need our other patients getting it, but as of now that seems to be the extent of her illness."

"Oh, thank the good Lord," Mrs. Hall breathes.

"She's in good hands. We'll get her well and keep a good eye on her."

"Thank you, Dr. Juniper." Mr. Hall shakes her hand. "You don't know how much this means to us. We can't thank you enough for all that you've done for our family."

"I'd love to take the credit Mr. Hall, but without my team and the good Lord above, I'd be lost."

"Well to all of you, thank you."

I watch her shake their hands before walking out of the room. When she closes the door, she spots me. Pausing, we study each other.

"She's going to be okay?"

My voice comes out low over the ache in my throat. I know she's already reassured Dakota's parents, but I need her to reassure me. I haven't shed a tear since my parents died, but now I fear I'm at the edge of losing my cool. Whether it's frowned upon as a guy or not, I don't give a shit. I've lost too much in my life. I don't want to lose her too. She came into my life when I least expected it, but I know a good thing when I see it. Seeing her that first day changed my path. I no longer want to go through everything alone.

"You're the boy she was asking about."

By the way she says it, it comes out more statement than question.

"She was asking about me?"

My heart thumps hard enough that I start to wonder if this Dr. Juniper can hear it. She's studying me like I'm a research project. Just when I start to fidget from the close scrutiny, she smiles.

"I can see why she likes you. You're a cutie."

Relieved I've passed inspection, I cross my arms and wait.

"In answer to your question, yes, I do believe she'll be fine. A few tests will confirm it, but I have every confidence this is a mixture of the flu and a broken heart."

Swallowing, I let my pride take that hit. I deserve it.

"I didn't mean to break her heart. I was stupid. My parents died a few years ago and I let it affect my decisions and who I get close to."

I don't know why I'm unloading on this lady, but it feels good to get it off my chest. There's a dam breaking in my chest I hadn't realized I'd sealed off.

"I don't have a lot to my name right now, but I'm determined that I will one day. It's hard for me to imagine losing anyone else close to me. I don't have a lot of family. Well only one actually and she's not really family."

"Would you like to know why I became a doctor?"

The question comes out of nowhere, and it causes me to pause. Her eyes are filled with emotion, but her face is expressionless. I'm guessing that's a trick she's had to learn over the years with the patients she's treated, but behind all that indifference I feel like we share something in common. I nod and she gestures for me to follow her. As we make our way down the hallway, she waves and acknowledges several families but stops short when we reach the end.

"I wish I could say I picked my path the honorable way like your girl Dakota has. Her desire to help research and treat cancer is from her own experiences fighting the same war. She wants to make sure other children have the same future she will have, and I firmly believe she will have it."

She must have seen the worry in my eyes.

"But I can't. I picked my path for selfish reasons. Like you, my parents died young. My only living grandparent on my mom's side died a few years after she took me in. In those few short years though, my grandmother showed me kindness beyond measure. Unfortunately, she had little by way of money and there wasn't much left to keep me going once she passed. My grandparents on my father's side never wanted me. They didn't agree with my parent's marriage because my mother chose to marry a black man. Although my skin is light and I favor my mother's side more, I always felt closer to my father's side. I was sixteen when grandma passed away. They tried putting me in foster homes, but the homes I ended up in were bad. Nightmarish even so I ran away. I was hungry and scared and lived on the streets for a year praying and hoping I wouldn't end up dead somewhere. And then one day, a woman dressed in street clothes walked up to me and offered me some food. She introduced herself as a pastor of a church nearby and while I was eating, she struck me a deal. I would come work for her, and the church would help support my education. The church ran a mission program that helped the homeless better their lives. They still run it today. I know because I sit on the committee. I took the deal, but I promised myself that I would never go hungry again or allow anyone to touch me that I didn't allow to. I knew the medical field would give me the funds to accomplish that dream. I had to work my butt off to get back on track, but I managed and here I am today."

I shake my head. "I don't get it. How does that make you selfish? In my book, that makes you a survivor. I'd like to think that's what I am."

Placing a hand on my shoulder, she smiles. "Maybe you're right there, but my intentions were purely selfish until what I started doing became a passion. This job, this life has been my saving grace and that pastor that took me in became my mother. She adopted me. She's held my hand the whole way and I can't thank her enough for that. Saving lives is my way of doing that I hope, and continuing the work she believed so strongly in. She passed away last year, and her funeral was one of the most beautiful you could have ever seen."

She places a hand on my shoulder. "Dakota has hit that spot inside you. I can see it in your eyes the same way I'm sure my eyes appeared the day the judge declared me Mallory Juniper, daughter of Bea Juniper. She was my stronghold and Dakota is yours. Unfortunately, we don't know where life will take us, we don't know how long or short our lives will be, how long the person we love will be in our lives, but if we don't take that leap because of our fears what have we accomplished? Nothing except emptiness and I don't know about you, but I'm tired of being alone."

She looks at her watch before focusing her attention back on me. "Now that it seems we've both had our confessional today, I have patients to check in on and I want to see about those tests on your girl. Think about what I said."

The words are running over and over in my head when she walks away. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of being alone. I never thought of myself as alone before. I've been lucky enough to be surrounded by friends that easily replaced the loved ones I've lost but if I'm being honest with myself, I've always watched how close I allow them to get. Until her.

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of being alone.