Chapter 19

Dakota

When Monday rolls around again, I can't make it two feet down the hall without someone saying a hello from the lockers I'm standing at as they pass me hurrying to their classroom. My plan on not getting attached to this place is blowing away in the wind.

"Hey Dakota. Nice game huh?"

I glance at the girl that passes me before smiling. I have no clue what her name is, but it seems the only answer she needs from me is a nod of acknowledgement.

"Don't look so sick. You get used to it," Rick's voice sounds out next to me when he slings an arm around my shoulder and leads me down the hall. He's in my personal space, but I keep silent and wait.

"You're the girlfriend of the quarterback, the most popular guy at school. People will think they know you. By the end of today, there will be more than five versions of you, you'll have at least ten favorite colors, and your favorite foods will be endless."

"You make it sound like a strange alien sci-fi movie."

"Aliens, we are not," Evan points out as we stop in front of his locker.

I ignore him. "And who say's I'm Devin's girlfriend? We went on one date."

Rick grins. "One .... Two ..."

"Man, what the hell is your hand doing on her shoulder?"

"Three," Rick finishes when Devin grabs me from behind and brings me flush against his back.

"That." He points to the arm Devin now has placed around my waist. "Is what tells me."

Rick walks off laughing with Evan hot on his heels. Devin lets out a few curse words before releasing me and turning me around.

"Sorry about dumb and dumber."

I feel like I'm missing about five steps in some strange twelve step program, but I go with the flow.

"No problem. I like your friends."

He grins before opening the locker next to Evan's and shoving some books inside.

"Can I walk you to class?"

Nodding, I allow him to reach out and grab my hand before we continue down the hall.

"A little birdie says I'm your girlfriend."

Devin swallows but doesn't seem repulsed by the idea. However, the way he's looking intently left to right and avoiding my gaze lets me know he's nervous which is starting to become common with us. My neck and cheeks feel warm and flushed from the feelings that are stirring within me.

"Do you want to be?"

"We've only had one date," I point out. "And we're both on borrowed time."

The elephant in the room is released. We're both leaving. My parents will get antsy and move on in the next few months and I'm praying and hoping to be accepted into a good medical school that will lead me to my dreams of being a doctor. I want to help cancer patients the way my doctors treated mine. They are the heroes, outside of God, that saved my life.

"Well, here's a fact that I do know."

Devin stops in the middle of the hall outside my Biology class. It doesn't matter that there's a hall full of students sweeping around us or that a public display of affection is frowned upon, he lifts my hand before placing a kiss on my knuckle. I guess chivalry hasn't died. 

"I don't want to see any other guy near you, touching you, kissing you. If that makes me sound crazy so be it. I'd like more dates with you, Dakota, whether we're on borrowed time or not."