Chapter 5

Dakota

Two of my classes are ahead of the classes from my previous school. Unfortunately, the others are behind. It's going to take me at least two weeks to catch up, but I'm hoping to cut that time in half. I tried to do my work on the bus, but my parents were in one of their lovey dovey moods which make living in a small space awkward. Deciding to give them the privacy they obviously needed, I slipped out and found myself walking the main street of Dewbridge, the one and only street of Dewbridge. Christmas lights and a large Christmas tree light up the center of town despite the fact that Thanksgiving hasn't happened yet. A large neon sign indicating Frank's Tavern blinks at me, and I gravitate to it. Although the building is in obvious need of repair, it looks like a good place to hide and study. The other joint I'd passed, Noah's Diner, puked out students left and right. The noise of a juke box erupted from the open doors. There's no way I'd get any work done there, and unfortunately the library was closed. My curfew's eleven even during a school week so I'm determined to knock out as much as I can. Pushing the door open, I immediately notice how empty the space is. A few men sit huddled together nursing beers while talking about the upcoming hay season and the new equipment they purchased. In other words, farm talk. Slipping past them, I notice a quiet corner in the back and make my way toward it. Perfect.

I'm an hour into my assignments when I hear the voice from this morning, the voice that has stayed with me all day despite trying to rid it from my brain.

"You should go."

Pausing, I frown. Looking up, I glance around at the near empty bar. It's filled up in the last hour, mainly with men coming in from a long day at work, but otherwise it's still relatively quiet. When I meet Devin's gaze, he's not smiling.

"Give me a good reason."

He sighs. "Because you're not from here, and many of these guys will be drunk in their cups within the hour. It's not safe for a girl like you."

"I can take care of myself."

It infuriates me that he's ordering me around like I'm incapable. He seems to realize his mistake because his eyes soften.

"I'm not trying to be a jackass. I'm trying to do the right thing and get you out of here before any of these assholes decide to get handsy if you catch my drift."

I frown. "Why are you here?"

"I'm the bartender."

Oh. Still, I have too much work to do and although I appreciate that my parents have a loving relationship, I don't want another lesson in the birds and the bees. I've had enough of those over the years.

"I'll have to chance it. I have a lot of work to do, and home doesn't exactly provide the right environment at the moment."

Why am I giving him an explanation? It's my life. His eyes narrow, but I stand my ground.

"I'm not your responsibility. You can go now."

"No can do. See those guys over there."

He points to a group of college age guys with hunger in their eyes as they direct their gazes at me.

"You're a new toy in town they want to try out."

Shuddering I look away, but I remain seated. I'm tired of being the new girl, the 'toy' as he points out that everyone wants to wear in. It's frustrating. Devin sighs.

"Fine. If you're determined to stay, at least come behind the bar and work. You'll be safe back there."

"Won't that get you in trouble?"

He shakes his head. "No, I'm too valuable to Frank. I'll let him know you're a friend. It won't be the first time I've had a friend keep me company during a shift."

That makes me wonder how many female friend's he's entertained before me, but I toss the thought aside. It's none of my business. Glancing over at the group of guys again, one of them winks at me and my stomach twists. Usually, I'm the type that likes to be independent and not rely on someone else for protection, but I'm also not stupid. I'm outnumbered and I really need to get this work done. I'm determined to graduate with good enough grades for a scholarship.

Nodding, I grab my bag and books before standing.

"Lead the way Prince Charming."

A smile edges along one cheek causing his dimple to flair. My heart skips a beat. I bet he has the ladies eating out of his hands. He's too good looking for his own good.

"Prince Charming?"

"Seemed fitting."

He reaches for my backpack, and I allow him to take it. I tell myself it's to let the guys in the corner know I'm with Devin, but the romantic side of me thinks it's sweet he's being a gentleman.

"Does that make you my Cinderella?"

I arch a brow at him as we walk side by side to the back. He opens the small hatch that leads into the bar area, and I follow him through.

"Depends on who you ask?"

"I'm asking you."

I smile. "I think I'd rather be the wicked queen that makes you eat out of my hand."

He chuckles. "There's more than your hand I can think to eat out of."

My cheeks flush at this. I hadn't expected that to come out of his mouth. I know my face has to be at least two shades of red. He points to a table in the corner out of the way of where he serves drinks before winking.

"Don't worry princess. Your virtue is safe with me."

When I meet his gaze, I hold it. The blue of his eyes darkens, and I wonder how much of me he sees. If so, then he'd realize my virtue may not be as safe as he says it is.