Chapter 24

Devin

"You looked good out there, boys."

All three of us share a look of exasperation and decide to keep walking. Football season may be over, but I have plans with my life that involves the sport making a life for me. Slacking off isn't in the cards. Thankfully, Rick and Evan feel the same way. We continue to run drills and work out on the same practice schedule we had before the season ended. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we're going to shake Daffodil so easily.

"Why isn't your girlfriend watching you play?"

"It's called a life Daffodil. She actually has one of those. Why don't you go get one of your own?" I ask sarcastically while I pop my trunk and throw my gear inside.

"Actually if you want to know."

"I don't," I interrupt.

"I'm working on helping the yearbook staff wrap up on this year's yearbook," she finishes while ignoring my obvious annoyance.

She holds up a camera. "You happen to be the hot topic everyone wants to see. I'm pretty sure every girl in this school has a crush on you. I'm sure cancer girl would appreciate her man being desirable."

Slamming my trunk, I walk around to the driver's seat of my car when Rick pauses.

"What did you just call her?"

I tuned her out at the words hot topic so I'm not sure why Rick all of a sudden looks like he wants to plow her in the ground. My only thought is getting to my girl and spending some quality time together before I have to start my shift at Frank's tavern.

"Man, she's not worth it. Let's go."

Evan pauses. "I'm with Rick. What the hell did you just call her?"

Confusion makes me pause. I've missed something.

"You mean cancer girl?" Daffodil shrugs. "It's my new nickname for her."

I narrow my eyes at her. "What the hell?"

Her eyes widen. "You mean you don't know?"

She looks back and forth between us before clapping her hands together. "Oh this is good. You fuck a chick and you don't even know her biggest secret."

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Evan spits out.

If I wasn't frozen in place, I'd probably lose my shit right along with them but something in her words make me pause. She was trying to tell me something during our night together, and I could tell it wasn't good. I shouldn't let Daffodil tell me before Dakota has a chance to, but I need to know.

"It's obvious you want to gossip so spit it out already," I growl.

She sighs dramatically like this is causing her undue stress. "Well I decided I needed to research this girl of yours, Devin. It seemed only fair since it's her attention that's taken you off the market. I can't help it if I found out she's fighting cancer."

My stomach bottoms out and I feel like I'm going to be sick. Daffodil's dramatic pause is her way of knowing this is affecting me.

"Dakota has leukemia, Devin."

I'm pretty sure I'm feeling sick. I hadn't realized how far my feelings for Dakota extended until now. The thought of losing her to something like cancer scares the shit out of me, and I know I'm a goner.

"Had leukemia. Past tense, Daffodil."

Her voice makes us all turn. Daffodil doesn't look the least bit deterred while I'm still trying to process what's being said. Had. She said had. I'm holding on to that.