Chapter 29

Dakota

It takes me a minute to realize I'm in my bed on our blue bus when I wake up and it's moving. Why is it moving? Where are we going? I try to sit up, but it feels like a pile of bricks is weighing me down, and I'm cold. Why is it so cold? Shutting my eyes against the lights above my bed, I try and gather what thoughts I can piece together. I passed out in class and Rick caught me. Somehow, I ended up in Devin's arms and that's the last thing I remember. I want to go back to Devin's arms. In his arms, I felt safe and warm. Maybe if I close my eyes, he'll come back. My body feels like it's fighting a war it can't compete with. I want to examine the fact that Devin was there for me, and why I'm feeling so bad. Unfortunately, my brain and body does not want to corporate. Instead, I let my body win out and the blackness takes me back under.

"Dakota?"

It's a soothing voice, one that sounds strangely familiar. My body fights to find consciousness. It craves sleep and nothing but sleep right now.

"Dakota, I need you to wake up now. I'm going to give you something to get that fever down."

Fever? I have a fever? When did I start running fever? My eyes start to flutter open, and I immediately regret it. Light filters in that causes the pain in my head to intensify. My body doesn't want to deal with the onslaught of pain. Instead, it wants to return to its cocoon of slumber. If it wasn't for those hands poking and prodding at me, it could.

"Welcome back to the land of the living."

The voice comes through again and this time I recognize it.

"Dr. Juniper?" I manage to whisper.

"You've given your parents quite the scare."

Whether I want to be or not I'm now fully awake, and I feel beyond awful. The beeping from a machine catches my attention and I turn my head slowly. An IV bag is attached to my right arm and a blood pressure cuff on my left. When my brain finally decides to catch up, I know where I'm at. I don't even need to see the St. Jude sign in front of the hospital to know.

"I passed out," I state although I'm pretty sure she knows that. There's no 'here's your sign' expression on her face, however. Instead, there's a smile replacing the hard lines that often grace her lips. Her passion for the children here is commendable, but I wish she'd take time to slow down and live. She's young and needs someone special to share her life with. I start to say that, but I'm too exhausted. She helps me to sit up and I graciously accept the fever medicine she hands me and the small glass of water. Quickly swallowing them, she takes the cup and helps me to lie back down.

"Well now that we've figured that one fact out, why don't we figure out what caused it."

Her voice is gentle.

"Where is everyone?"

Her smile returns. "I sent your parents to get a cup of coffee. They met the ambulance at the hospital of the small town I hear you're living in and demanded to bring you here. The hospital staff wasn't keen on letting you go, but for free spirited parents they can be stubborn. It's the best kind I think. They love you very much. I assured them you were in good hands until we can figure out what's causing you to be sick."

"I'm fine, really."

I feel like death run over, but I'm alive and in my head that's the exact definition of fine.

"Regardless, you're sick either way so why don't we sort out the cause. I've ordered a swab and blood work and we'll see if we can get you back on your feet. Some of your symptoms are a little too close to your cancer."

"Former cancer," I correct her quietly.

"Former cancer," she concedes. "Your parents didn't want to take any chances."

She starts to leave but I stop her. "Was there a boy with my parents?"

She shakes her head and I nod. She waits for a minute to see if I'll clarify but there's no need. "There will be a nurse in to get the labs I need."

She closes the door, and I close my eyes against the pain in my head. He didn't come. Maybe I was hoping against all hope by the way I remember him holding me that he decided to get over his fears and accept what we have. I can imagine what seeing me passed out made him feel. If he's afraid to lose me to the wrath of his sister, I'm sure the thought of the cancer returning terrifies him. Sighing, I close my eyes and let the exhaustion take me away.