7.

nari stood in the closet in just a robe. her hair neatly straightened and her makeup done naturally. she was looking at the options she had for clothing. she has to look presentable. it was tea with her mother in law after all. so she has no choice but to look her best.

kang's mother wasn't the biggest fan of nari. she never thought much of her. she always thought nari wasn't good enough for her the son, or to be in this family.

kang walks into the closet looking at how deep she was looking at the outfits. "it's just tea with my eomma." he said it so simple like it wasn't difficult for her. she was always critiqued each moment she was in a room with her mother in law.

"it's not just tea with your eomma." she responds back. "your eomma never asks me over for no reason. there is always a reason. last time we had an uncomfortable conversation about me having to dress different. the time before that was her telling me that i was no longer allowed to go to galas alone. the one before that was about you getting drunk at the club and why i didn't stop you from punching that man. this time i think i'm going to get an ear full because you are never around." her voice somewhat bitter.

"that man had it coming he literally was disrespecting you in front of me." he sighed. kang knew all to well that it had been uncomfortable between the two of them. he also knew he was the reason but he promised her he'd be home more. so here he was. "why don't i go with you? i can explain that we talked about it and i'm changing things at work to be home more."

she shakes her head no, "that's a terrible idea, she already thinks i don't have a backbone. imagine walking in with you she'll have solid proof that i in fact am spineless." nari also didn't want him there.

"you're not spineless nari." he responds knowing that she was stronger than she thought she was.

but i am in fact spineless. she thought to herself. i'm spineless in the fact that i care too much what others think. that i would stay in a marriage where my husband is clearly having an affair to save face. i am spineless.

she finally decides on some black slacks and white sweater combo. the weather was getting chillier and she thought she couldn't over dress. she picked this outfit because it was a bit more on the causal side. perfect for tea with her in-laws.

"you know we still have dinner plans." he crosses his arms leaning against the doorway watching as she changed into her outfitter. "it's decided. i'm going regardless or else she'll keep you there on purpose or something."

she slides on her engagement ring and wedding band turning to him. "kang you shouldn't come. you know your mother."

yes he knew his mother. he knew his mother could tear down nari with one look. "i don't care. i'm coming."

so he did end up coming. he dressed in black slacks a white shirt and tan cardigan, deciding that matching with nari subconsciously tell the world they were perfect. he always matched her before, making sure everyone knew they were always on the same page. he was always so calculated in everything, it was a training he had learned from his mother from a very young age.

he needed to show his mother that he was a united front with nari, just like he was before.

kang decided it was best to drive there, instead of having the driver take them. it just seemed more personal. plus he could reach over and hold her hand like he used to. he intertwined their fingers and at red lights would turn and look at her admiring her beauty. she didn't speak to him. she didn't look at him. he had notice that things were different with nari.

she didn't even smile as much anymore.

when they got to his parents and out the car he lead her to the front door, his hand on the small of her back. he knew she was going to receive the backlash of him being an absentee husband. that she would get blamed for everything. god forbid the affair comes out because they would blame nari.