Chapter 35: The Preliminary Matches Begin

Akira's P.O.V

"We have to have preliminary matches before moving on to the third exam," Hayate declared.

'We have to have preliminary matches?' I thought, looking at Hayate in surprise, not expecting to have to take a preliminary exam.

Shikamaru sounded pretty annoyed and shocked at the announcement, raising his voice."Preliminary matches? What do you mean?"

"Sensei, I don't understand what you mean by Preliminary matches," Sakura joined in, expressing her confusion.

"Yeah, why can't we just begin the Thrid Exam with the remaining examinees?" I asked.

Hayate sighed, "You see, it might have been that the First and Second Exam was too easy. I don't know, but there are too many examinees left."

'The Frist Exam was that bad, but the Second Exam was arduous. You have no idea what kind of challenges we have, especially Kei, and if my summon didn't protect me, I would probably be for.' I thought with a frown, recalling everything that had happened.

"According to Chunin regulations," Hayate continued."We must decrease the number of participants for the Third Exam. As Lord Hokage previously mentioned, there are many important guests for the third Exam, so...we can't just have a lot of matches. We are limited on time as well. So those who aren't feeling well..."

Once again, Hayate coughed. I raised an eyebrow in response.'If anyone is not feeling well. It's you, sensei.'

Hayate shifted his gaze to us after having a short coughing fit and resumed, "Excuse me. If anyone wants to quit after hearing the explanation...please let me know. The preliminary matches will start immediately."

I gasped in surprise.'They will not give time to rest?!'

"Immediately?!" Kiba barked angrily.

Ino had a look of despair on her face as she said, "But we just got through the Second Exam!"

"How troublesome...." Shikamaru muttered.

"What? What about my meal?" Choji expressed his dissatisfaction over the announcement.

Hayate, who was still unfazed despite our complaints, he received."I forgot to mention this, but you will have one-on-one matches from here on out. So, please withdraw if you wish."

I let out a sigh. 'I want to get some sleep. I'm exhausted after the entire survival exam in the Forest of Death. However, I did take a few naps during the Exam. I can still feel my body drain from our fight while Kei was passed out and from watching guard. I need a nice soft bed, food, and water; then I will be satisfied.'

"Kei, you should withdraw now," I heard Kaito whisper in front of me. I turned to glance at them instead of Hayate. Kaito had his body facing forward, but his has was shifted to the left over his shoulder, reflecting at Kei, who only stared back blankly. Kaito then continued, "You still hurt from your fight with your opponent protecting Team Seven, right? So withdraw now."

Kei continued to stare at Kaito with her golden snake eyes and placed a hand against her shoulder where her curse mark was as she replied."I can still fight Kaito. So stop worrying about me."

Kaito frowned in disapproval, and he responded, "Stop lying already. I know that you are trying to hide the pain. You refused to take your hand off of your shoulder because it still hurts, right? The pain will worsen if you don't have a medical ninja or Mizuko-sensei. Check it out."

I also noticed that Sakura was on the verge of tears while she talked to Sasuke, probably trying to get him to quit as well. He was probably in pain, too, from that mark. I didn't pay much attention and focused back on Kei and Kaito. I was positive that Sasuke would recuse being the stubborn Uchiha he is. He will never turn down the chance to battle the strong opponents here.