Chapter 29: A mysterious red head & sudden encounter

Akira and Kaito were sitting under a large tree shaped like an arch. As Akira put a cloth on Kei's forehead, trying to help bring down her fever.

"Well, if you have her fever under control, I will go and look for a team with the scroll we need," Kaito said, standing on up.

"Yes, I have it handle you. Just make sure to be careful out there alone," Akira said.

"I will," Kaito replied with a nod before he left the tree they were using for shelter.

Kei then let out a whimper as she shook and breathed unevenly from her fever.

"Hang on, Kei, you're going to be okay," Akira whispered as she grabbed the cloth and poured a little bit of more water on it from her canteen and gently squeezed the excess water out before placing it on Kei's forehead.

'I don't know what happened to you other than the strange mark on her neck.' Akira thought, looking at Kei's neck, which was now noticeable since they had taken her jacket off.

****

Meanwhile elsewhere...

Kaito was walking through the forest, searching around for a target to obtain the scroll his team needed to pass the second exam.

'So far, I haven't found anyone yet.' He thought, looking around the clearing he just.

He was suddenly pulled out of his thoughts as he heard a strange groan from up ahead.

"Someone just up ahead, and it seems something is wrong," He said as he decided to check it out."It could be an easy target to get the scroll I need."

As he approached the area, he spotted a girl his age with short hair with a lighter shade of red than Akira's long dark blood red hair.

"Hey, is something the matter?" He asked as she saw the girl hunched over slightly.

The girl turned around, startled, and looked at Kaito. As soon as she turned around, Kaito saw that the young girl was wearing glasses and had rose pink eyes.

"Hey there, beautiful why do you seem upset?" He asked with a flirtatious smile on his face as he walked a little bit closer.

"I'm fine, really," She replied, blushing slightly.

"Are you sure? You don't seem fine," Kaito commented."I won't take your scroll if you have the one my team needs. So tell me what the matter," He said, kneeling down and touching her face.

Kaito then noticed her teeth gritting and had an idea of what was wrong as he reached into his pouch and pulled out a bandage.

"Here, this should help with your ankle. I'm taking what is bothering you," He said, taking her sandal off and wrapping it around her ankle.

"Yeah, I hurt it earlier when I got separated from my teammates," She replied as she watched Kaito wrap the bandage around her ankle.

"Don't worry; it doesn't look too bad," Kaito stated."I can ease the pain a little thanks to the medical justu I have learned from my sensei," He said as he placed a hand on her ankle. A green glow appeared as he started to heal her ankle.

"Thank you. That feels better; I think I can walk now," She said with a soft smile on her face.

"You're welcome. I should continue my search for a scroll before I meet back up with my teammates," He said, wrapping up the extra bandages before storing them back into his pouch.

Kaito then stood up and started to walk away until he stopped by the girl.

"Wait!" She said, stopping Kaito in his tracks.

"Yeah, what is it?" He asked, turning to face her.

"What scroll do you need?" She asked, fixing her class.

"Earth scroll," He replied."Why are you asking, um," He trailed off, realizing he didn't know the girl's name.

"Karin Uzumaki," She said."Here why don't you take my Earth Scroll then."

"What I couldn't do is that it wouldn't feel right t take a scroll from a pretty girl when she hurt," He commented, winking.

Karin blushed at Kaito's flirting with her.

"Please, you could have attacked me, but instead, you helped treat my ankle," Karin said, giving Kaito a soft smile."Besides, I doubt we're going to pass this exam. I have been nothing but unhelpful, so please take it," She said, pulling out the scroll mad headed it to Kaito.

"You know Karin; you have a heart like my teammate who has red hair like your hair, a shade lighter than hers, and she has the same surname too," Kaito stated.

"Really, what's her name?" Karin asked.

"Akira Uzumaki," He replied.

"Akira?" Karin questioned with her eyes slightly narrowed.

"Yeah, you might know her. She told me she was initially from the Hidden Grass Village with her family," Kaito stated.

"I remember she was my closet and only friend," Karin said."Her mother and my mother used to work at the hospital until they both died of chakra exhaustion. I hadn't seen her or her older sister since they ran away when the hospital tried to use them as healers."

"I had no idea. She only told me she had left and that she hadn't seen her sister since then. I guess they got separated, or something happened to her sister."

"I want you to take the scroll even more. Akira deserves to make it to the next exam more than I did. She has always been a talented person," Karin smiled.

"Thank you, Karin. I let her know you say hi," Kaito said with a smile as he took the scroll.

"That will be great, hopefully; she still remembers me."

"I'm sure she does. After all, nobody should be able to forget beautiful eyes like your eyes," Kaito commented with a smirk as he started to walk away.

****

Elsewhere in the Forest of death...

Akira was still sitting next to Kei, slightly conscious and worn out by last night's guard watch after finding a place for Kei to rest.

"Huh?" She questioned as she heard a rustling sound in the bushes.

She quickly pulled out a shuriken and turned toward the direction of the bushes, ready to attack. She then saw a small red rabbit come out of the bushes.

'A rabbit and young looking one as well.' Akira thought, holding onto her shuriken as she looked at the Rabbit.

The rabbit then started running towards her. Akira then gasped, sensing something off as she threw her shuriken in front of the rabbit, stopping it in its tracks.

The little red rabbit then ran off in fear back into the bushes and away from Akira and Kei.

"It seems someone hasn't let her guard down even if she was worn out," A male voice said in a smug voice.

Akira jumped, startled by the sudden voice, and slowly turned toward the culprit.

💖💖💖

Hey lovely readers! I finally got chapter 29 of The Crystal Serpent completed and written. I really hope you all enjoyed this chapter. Feel free to let me know in the comments what you think of the chapter.

Also, if there is a story you would like me to update, just let me know, and I will get to work on the next chapter.

Q: Who do you think the unexpected person is behind Akira?

Q: What do you think about Kaito's flirtatious personality?

Thanks for reading!

Word Count: 1200