Chapter 239: Along the Sandy Beaches

Start from the beginning

The morning sky was still young, the sun barely climbing the horizon. The fresh air blew over the mountains as they descended down the steps, the sound of it whistling ringing in their ears ever so softly. It was a peaceful day.

Well, it's not like they are free to do whatever they want. They still have to report that everything's been resolved to the Beldons and to the Guild. But that can wait. For now, they need to solve what's in front of them... Literally...

"I pay my respects to the Honorable Emissaries of God." [Kalun]

Like a tiger waiting to ambush its prey, the Head Elder lurked at the end of the stairs to greet Grey and Yuna. But rather than pouncing at them, he simply bowed his head in respect as his whole body trembled ever so slightly.

It was a far stretch from his previous behavior, looking more tame and reasonable. It seems that with the defeat of the Evil Beast he has returned to his former self, his eyes, though only slightly, regaining their original colors.

"There's no need to bow so much, Head Elder. Please raise your heー" [Grey]

Grey couldn't even finish his words. The Head Elder, rather than raising his head, lowered it down even more, kneeling to the ground with his old and brittle knees, bowing his head, not daring to meet their eyes.

"Lord Grey, Lady Yuna, as impudent as I may have been, I want to apologize for my past actions! Though I know that I wasn't myself when I said those words, it does not take away the fact that I have insulted you! Once again, I apologize!" [Kalun]

It was an over the top apology, his voice echoing throughout the air, loud and clear. The Great Chief had mentioned he was a serious and sincere man, but they never thought it would be to such an extent. They were about to stop him, but...

"Uh... Umm... Head Elder, pleaseー" [Grey]

"And... Thank you... For avenging my sons, and everyone else... Thank you... From the bottom of my heart, I will never forget this debt... Thank you..." [Kalun]

An endless stream of "thank you" filled the silent air as tears trickled down his face, dripping towards the solid ground. His hands were still trembling, barely able to get his words out. He was a sobbing mess.

It was not the first time someone expressed their gratitude regarding such a topic. Many villagers yesterday also said the same words, all the while tears were shed from their eyes, gratitude and sadness brewing in their hearts.

Many lives were lost, and many lives were saved. Though it was unfortunate that they couldn't save everyone, such a thing was only natural and might happen again in the future. All they could do was accept reality, and be happy that they have saved many. A bittersweet smile floated in their faces.

Grey and Yuna just let the Head Elder bawl his eyes out and accepted both his apology and gratitude. Though it was the least they could do, strangely enough, they weren't too sad about it... Just a little conflicted.

With their business done, Grey and Yuna walked around the village, seeing all sorts of sights. From people farming and tending to livestock, to warriors training, and the children playing. A sense of peace blossomed in their hearts.

"It's really a lovely village, isn't it?" [Yuna]

"Yeah... Though it was unfortunate that they were struck by a Leviathan, I'm happy to see that they are now back to normal." [Grey]

"Un, that's right... I hope they can recover soon..." [Yuna]

Their eyes swam left and right as their feet stepped forward ever so slowly. There was not a destination in mind, just going along where their feet take them, aimless like a leaf blown away by the winds.