THIRTY-NINE

That night Lotuspaw returned to Cotton'nose and finished her training in under a moon. She even had her priestess ceremony. The ancient priests officially named her.

Her name given was Lotuslight, for all the light and hope she'd bring.

She foraged with Beepaw, she visited Sneezenose again when she was better and they shared prey. Now, it was her the final goodbye.

And Smogbreath was older. To cleanse these lands may take years. And Lotuspaw realized... She may never see Smogbreath again.

"Smogbreath... I care so much about you..." She whimpered, "You've raised me from the ground up. I will always have nightmares from my past, but you are the cat that gave me the opportunity to make dreams."

Smogbreath sighed heavily, "Lotuspaw, please! You're like my daughter..." Smogbreath momentarily paused before answering with a soft, loving smile, "You are my daughter! I love you, I love to the moon and back."

Lotuspaw felt herself get emotional too and she'd cry as well, grasping Smogbreath with her tail. The two shared a peaceful moment, a moment that finally gave Lotuspaw the courage to leave.

She had said goodbye to everyone she needed to... Now it was time to say hello to adventure.