THIRTY-FIVE

However, Lotuspaw had another nightmare. This one was about Rushclan. It'd been a while since she even thought of Rushclan. It made her feel guilty, actually. Like she should focus more on grieving her family. But she didn't because it hurt. Besides, Smogbreath always told her that dwelling on the past made no room for a future.

Well, Lotuspaw had a hope, had a future and she was sticking to it. She told one of the nurses about her nightmare, mostly so they could document it, who comforted her. And once she was a little better, she was ready for training.

Each lesson generally consisted of only three herbs but because Lotuspaw's training was stunted Cotton'nose added one extra herb. Unfortunately, an older soldier came in with cracked pads right after they finished with the lesson and Cotton decided now was a good time for Lotuspaw to show her knowledge.

She'd crush up two herbs into a poultice then smear it into his cracked paws, putting a bit extra in the actual cracking spots to moisturize his pad. Then, she decided it might be well he kept it off from the dry ground so wrapped it with cobwebs. Though that was a bit overkill, he was able to unsheath and comfortably sheath his claws so he was quite pleased.

And Cotton smiled, proud of her trainee.

Lotuspaw looked around, seeing her warm smile that was... Never before seen actually. It gave her so much joy. She didn't even need to ask if she did well to know, Cottons face said it all.

"I suppose I may leave now?" Lotuspaw asked.

"Yes," Cotton said but quickly added on, "Just be careful around the sickly..." Her voice was quite soft, perhaps even nervous.

"I will," Lotuspaw said.

But in her mind; who cares if she got sick? She was going to fight and find a cure even if it's the last thing she'd ever do; for Sneezepaw, for her family, and for herself.