epilogue

I'm five months sober.

I didn't think it was possible or that I deserved it, but my family and Marley's have taught me that I can do it.

And today, Marley and I are going to fly to New York for a couple of days before going with her family to their villa in Italy before my preseason training starts at Stanford.

"Marley, are you ready?" I call out, zipping my suitcase up. My sister came over to say bye to us and they're busy talking baby plans.

She and Henry eloped in Vegas last month and when they got back told everyone that Mirabelle was pregnant. My dad actually cried he was so happy for them. Marley has had so much fun going with Mira and my mom to pick out baby clothes and helping her design the nursery. I'm a little worried that Marley's going to catch baby fever from her.

I grab my suitcase and carry it down the stairs to set by the front door when I notice that the back door is open. I roll my eyes, knowing that I'm going to practically have to drag Marley to go pack. She hates to do it, but the one time I tried to do it for her to help her, I apparently packed everything wrong. So it's sufficient to say that I learned my lesson there.

My prediction was right. The three of them are sitting in the chairs on the back patio except Kaitlyn is with them taking a break from surfing with Hunter and Henry.

"Hi honey," Mom says warmly and then pats the spot next to her for me to sit down in.

"Mom, are you distracting my girlfriend from packing?"

Marley groans, "But we're talking about the baby shower. We're going to get these cute little cupcakes that have mermaids and mermen on them."

"Nobody is saying that you can't come right back here even though JJ has to go back to California." Mirabelle says, rubbing her growing stomach lovingly. "Maybe we like you better than him," She teases, nothing but love in her eyes.

I stick my tongue out at her, "Yes, just like your twins are going to love me more than you."

Her jaw drops, "You take that back."

"Nope."

Mom pinches my arm hard, "JJ." She warns as Marley shoots me a disapproving frown.

"Fine, I take it back. Your kids are going to love you more than me, but I'm going to be the favorite uncle."

Mirabelle nods, "Well yes. You're my favorite brother."

Kaitlyn snorts but tries to cover it up with a cough that isn't believable at all. "Goddammit you two. This is not stuff we're supposed to say out loud in front of people." Mom exclaims causing me and Mira to share a look and laugh.

I stand up, deciding that it really is time to go before causing any more arguments. It doesn't take much to do. "Sweetheart, you have to go pack. Our flight leaves soon." I say to Marley and she sighs before standing up.

"You know one of the perks of having your own plane is that you can push the flight to a later time." She says, a sparkle in her eyes and I shake my head.

"Nope. There is a schedule we have to follow so go pack."

Mirabelle laughs, "God you two are adorable. But seriously, come back anytime. Lord knows we have a gazillion open bedrooms in that huge house."

Marley's smile shows that Mirabelle said the right thing and she walks in the house, leaving me to follow her. "JJ, you coming?"

My god, you wouldn't think that I had to convince her to pack and that it was the other way around. Except when I get up to my room where I would assume Marley is packing, she's instead laying on the bed.

"Marley," I scold and she smiles cheekily at me.

"What?"

"I love you, but please pack."

She blows a raspberry and flops back onto the bed. "I don't want to. I wish I could just teleport and go see my family without having to pack all my stuff up. It's just so tedious when I know I'm going to have to unpack and repack it all again in a couple of days."

I hear what she's saying, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to let her do it. "If you don't start packing by the time I put my bag in the car and get back, I'm going to pack for you."

"I could think of a few other 'punishments' instead of that you would enjoy more." She teases trying to get me riled up but I'm still trying to her dad that I'm capable of being responsible. Which means making sure that the plane leaves on time and that we are at the airport in New York City when I told her dad we were going to be.

"You have a couple of minutes til I'm back." I say over my shoulder as I walk towards the stairs.

However, I hear her footsteps following me. She will literally do anything to avoid this. It's not like she doesn't want to go home. I know she misses her family and is excited to see her brother. It's just the packing part that Marley hates.

I pick up my suitcase in one hand when I look over to see Marley peeking around the corner.

"I heard you following me. You're not all that quiet."

Marley scoffs, "I wasn't trying to be quiet. Maybe I want your help."

"Well you're going to have to wait until after I put this in the car. Unlike you, I am actually capable of packing my shit up." I hold up my suitcase as a prime example before opening the door.

Except in front of the door is Bailey. His hair is cut short and he's aged so much since the last time I saw him. There's a little boy holding his hand and I look back and forth between them.

"Bailey." I breathe out, the suitcase falling out of my hand with a clatter, causing the little boy to jump and hide partially behind my brother.

"I didn't have another option. Javi needs a doctor and I...please. He just needs a doctor." Bailey says, his voice deep and full of pain.

I feel Marley touch my arm, grounding me from the anxiety and shock flooding through me. My mouth opens and shuts because I don't know what to say.

He came back.

Bailey really came back.

Author's note:

Well guys. We've reached the end of Before You. This is the longest book I've written since Marley's parents' book What A Lie Looks Like. Thank you so much for reading and I hope you're all looking forward to the whirlwind ride that Bailey's story will be in Ruined By You. You'll learn all of the secrets and truths that you've been dying to know since book one. 

I'm going to try and have the epigraph and first chapter up this weekend, maybe even later today so be on the lookout for it! 

Quick question: would you guys be interested in more bonus chapters and story branches from Mirabelle and Henry's story? 

Can't wait to continue telling this story with all of you. 

You're the best. 

xoxo laurea