14: jj

My hands are shaking as I hold the pills in my hand before I drop them in my mouth and swallow them dry. My head is throbbing and every step I take feels like my knee is ready to give out. The five miles I ran yesterday did me no favors and today's game wiped me out.

"JJ, are you coming or not?" Asher asks, walking through the door without knocking.

However, my back is turned to him allowing me the opportunity to set the bottle back in the drawer I had gotten them out of without him seeing.

"Yes, I'm coming. Impatient much?" I ask, forcing a wry smile on my face.

"Everyone else already left. I would think you'd be more excited to go and celebrate the three touchdowns you ran in today. Everyone is taking bets on when you're going to set a damn school record this season." He grins, elated by the fact he actually got playing time today. Ash earned his spot on the field and proved why he deserved to stay out there.

"Those touchdowns were only possible because of the yards you helped us get." I point out, grabbing a v-neck t-shirt off of a hanger and tug it over my head. When I look at Asher, I note that his gaze is focused on the desk, specifically the drawer I just put the bottle in. Did he see? "Ready?" I ask and his smile never falters.

"Hell yeah."

I follow behind him down the stairs, trying to will away the pain in my knee as I attempt to walk normally. "Are you driving or am I?"

"We've got a ride." The secretive smirk he wears makes me worried. The pounding in my head however, pushes that worry out as I focus entirely on keeping an easy expression.

I swear if this is him trying to fix me up with someone, I might just go back inside and spend the night in while I wait for Marley to call.

Yet, it's just Harry's car in the driveway.

Ash could have just said his cousin was picking us up, there was no reason for it to be a damn surprise. I'm honestly kind of surprised he's okay with her coming with because when she was at that party earlier in the year, he just about lost his cool when he found out she was there. She's been coming around more the last couple weeks, but I haven't been great company.

"Shotgun," Asher calls and I roll my eyes.

"Are we tweens now or did I miss something?" The comment slips before I can bite it back and in the grand scheme, I don't think it's that bad. But it's enough to get Asher to stop and turn.

"Are you okay?"

I exhale, pushing another smile on my face. "I'm good. Just a little tired from earlier."

It's enough for him not to inquire anymore and he resumes walking towards the car, sliding into the front seat. I try to prepare myself for Harry's loud personality when I'm thoroughly shocked to see two people sitting in the back seat that I wasn't expecting.

"What's up superstar?" Bria teases from the middle seat, but my attention zeros in on Marley. She offers me a kind smile and a wave.

"Are you getting in or are we leaving you behind?" Harry asks and it kicks me back to Earth.

I climb into the car, clearing my throat. "Hey."

Harry looks at me innocently, which is far from what she is. "Have you met Marley and Bria?" She asks, knowing damn well that I run with Bria every day and Marley is...well Marley.

"In fact I have, Harriet. How did you meet them?"

"I saw Asher outside of one of my classes last week and he was talking to Harry. We hung out at my apartment and she met Bria then." Marley explains, the soft lilt of her voice captivating me. Everything about her demands my attention. It's been that way since I saw her lost on the corner in France