38: marley

"You look great," Bria says, smiling as I twirl in the soft pink dress I picked to wear for Valentine's day along with the heels I paired with it.

"Thanks," I reply, turning to look in the mirror. My hair has grown out a bit, making it easier to curl into waves. "Where do you think he's going to take me?"

"My lips are sealed."

I whip around to look at her in shock, "You know where JJ and I are going tonight?" I ask, extremely surprised to learn that my best friend is in on it. JJ has been so tight lipped about his plans for the night. It's been driving me crazy because I like to have an idea of where I'm going.

"I do and I know he's just going to die when he sees you dressed like that." Bria grins mischievously and I groan, crossing my arms over my chest.

"What will it take for you to tell me?"

Bria laughs and pulls her knees up to her chest. "Absolutely nothing."

Figures. My best friend is more loyal to my boyfriend than me. But...I do appreciate JJ going to such lengths to surprise me. I tried to tell him that Valentine's day wasn't a big deal, but JJ insisted that since it was also our four month anniversary that we needed to celebrate.

I personally don't think that a four month anniversary is anything to celebrate, but if it makes him happy then I'll celebrate every single month for what I hope is the rest of our lives.

God, I love him so much. It's crazy how in such a short amount of time JJ has managed to make me feel things that I thought only existed for my parents. But even my parents have had their struggles.

Mom is still refusing to admit that the pills were hers, but it's the only thing that makes sense. They have to be hers.

"Baby, I'm so glad that you came." Mom says, looking smaller than I remember in Dad's sweater.

I sit hesitantly across from her. "It felt wrong to leave without saying goodbye."

She nods as if she understands exactly what I'm getting at. "I'm sorry that you have to see me here. I wish I could have been home with you and Dad the last couple of weeks."

"Yeah, but you weren't." I say flatly. "You picked drugs over us."

Mom's eyes well up with tears. "Marley, I didn't even know why those pills were in the house. But I swear to you that I didn't take them."

"Your word doesn't mean much anymore," It comes out as harsh as I mean it and I regret it almost instantly when I see the look on her face. It's just so frustrating and hard to hear her continue to deny. They were hers.

"I..." Mom trails off, before straightening up. "I'm telling the truth. My drug tests prove it. I'm here doing everything in my power to maintain my sobriety. The last time I took drugs was when you found me on the floor."

"Okay, so you might not have taken them, but they were in the house. You still had pills Mom and I'm sorry that you think just because you didn't take them means everything is fine. They were still in the house. You still went wherever, got a prescription, and accidentally dropped them where Kaden found them. How do you explain that?" I ask, motioning wildly with my hands while trying to keep my temper under control. I'm not doing a very good job of it.

"I can't Marley. I can't explain it." She says softly, reaching for one of my hands. Except I pull it out of her reach to rest in my lap. "I'm sorry." Mom whispers.

I wipe my eyes quickly as a couple tears spill out. "You should be."

I blink quickly, pulling myself out of the painful memory of the last time I spoke to my mother. She's supposed to be getting out of rehab in the next couple of weeks.