23: marley

I absolutely love JJ's family. His parents are so nice and I love his sister. I did notice that things are tense between JJ and his younger brother, Hunter. However, I didn't want to push him on it at all since he already seemed off about something.

We're currently on our way back to my apartment for a sleepover since we obviously can't stay at his place for obvious reasons. Why of all people did JJ have to be roommates with Trent?

JJ's hand squeezes my knee, attracting my attention. "What's on your mind sweetheart?"

"Oh nothing, I just was thinking about how unfortunate it is that you're roommates with my ex." I say, resting my hand on top of his.

"Trust me, I've been thinking that since I saw you that first week." He retorts quickly and I have no doubt that he has been.

"I'm sorry we don't spend more time at your place."

His eyebrows scrunch in confusion, "Marley, that's not an issue for me. As long as I'm with you, I couldn't give a shit where we are. I don't want to put you in a situation that you'd be uncomfortable in." Just when I think that JJ can't get any sweeter, he picks my hand up and kisses the back of it.

"Hey JJ?"

"Yes?"

I smile widely at him, "I love you."

His own beautiful smile makes an appearance and the dimple I love so much. "I love you too. Is there a reason that you're declaring it?" He asks and I giggle quietly.

"Nope. I just wanted to tell you."

"I'm glad."

I rest my head back against the headrest and watch my boyfriend attentively drive. It's crazy how much he looks like his dad. I mean, yes, I look very similar to my mom and I have my dad's eyes, but all of the Walker siblings have very striking features. Mirabelle has the same long blonde hair as her mother and I'm sad to say that for the first time since I cut my hair, I kind of regret it.

I did need a change, and hair does grow back...but it's hard not to feel subconscious of my hair length when both of theirs was everything mine used to be.

"Marley?" JJ asks and I snap out of my thoughts to see him staring at me instead of the road.

"Huh?"

"You're awfully quiet. If you're nervous about me staying tonight, I don't have to stay. I'm completely okay with dropping you off and heading back to my house." He says concerned.

"No, I'm okay. Really. I was just thinking about my hair."

"What about it?"

I feel the strong urge to start picking at my cuticles, but I do my best to fight it since JJ is still holding my hand. "I kind of miss it being long."

Understanding washes over his face which makes sense to me because Mirabelle is his best friend; I'm sure he has plenty of experience with girl problems like this. Yet, that doesn't make me feel any better.

"I don't know if I say it enough and I'm sorry that I haven't, but you're fucking stunning Sweetheart. It doesn't matter what length your hair is at; fuck, you could even be bald for all I care. I love you for you, not what length your hair is. You looked amazing with it long, but the shortness somehow manages to bring more attention to your face. I can't explain it, but I wish you could know just how fast my heart beats at the thought of you. If you want it long again, it'll take some time but it will grow back."

His words cause a lump to form in my throat that makes it hard for me to even begin expressing what that means to me. It means everything. "Grazie." Thank you.