27: marley

I've been trying to keep an eye on JJ after his brother called a couple of days ago, but he seems like he's on a different planet half the time. His eyes glaze over and he stares into space and when I finally do get his attention, JJ acts like he never zoned out in the first place.

JJ should be getting out of practice any minute so I'm using the time to make a business proposal for one of my classes. I'm bored out of my mind doing it, but growing up listening and watching my dad, I know the best ways of doing it.

I lean back in my desk chair, staring at the assignment on my screen that I have absolutely no desire to do. However, I'm thankfully interrupted by an incoming call from my dad.

"Hey Dad," I greet cheerily, relieved for an excuse to push off my assignment.

"Hi Mar, I hope this isn't a bad time." Dad says and I can hear the faint sounds of traffic in the background.

"No, not at all. I wasn't doing anything important."

I spin my chair around, making the world spin around me. "Oh good! I was wondering if you and JJ would like to join me for dinner tonight?"

"Uh, not that I wouldn't love to do that, but aren't you at home? Kind of a long flight for dinner." I ask, confused as to what he's getting at. It doesn't seem very eco friendly to fly us to New York for dinner and normally my parents are pretty good about that.

Dad chuckles softly, "You're in luck. I'm not going to make you fly across the country for dinner. I'm in San Francisco for some meetings so if you two would like to meet me somewhere for dinner, I'd love to see both of you."

"Are you sure you want me to bring JJ?" I ask skeptically.

"Yes. I'm sure. If you care about him as much as your mother says you do, then I'd like to get to know him better." Dad explains, and it eases my thoughts a bit.

"You're not going to interrogate him like last time right? I'd prefer you don't scare JJ off."

"I don't need to." He says simply and I gasp, sitting up right as I realize something.

"Dad."

"Marley."

I resist the urge to sigh. "Did you run a background check on him?"

Dad laughs, "Now why would you think that I'd do that?"

"Dad."

I know him and the only reason he wouldn't need to interrogate him is because he had Uncle Grayson run a background check.

"Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. I'll text you the time and place we're going tonight. I'm excited to hear about whatever project you're currently avoiding."

"How did you-"

He cuts me off, "Because I know you. I have a surprise for you that I think you'll be happy about. Should be there soon. I love you."

"I love you too." I say back, excited to see him later even if he did run a background check on my boyfriend. I wonder what surprise he could have though?

The first thing I do after he hangs up is I call JJ to let him know that if he has plans tonight, he might want to cancel them if he wants to get on my dad's good side. Except JJ doesn't answer. I hold my phone in my hand, contemplating if I should call again.

He always answers because he carries his phone everywhere incase Bailey calls.

I'm sure it's fine. Practice must not be over yet so I put the phone on the corner of my desk to try and work on more of my project since I won't have time tonight. I only manage to get a few more lines of my proposal done before my phone is ringing again. I reach for it quickly and my heart sinks a little when I see Leo's name instead of JJ's.