Chapter 44

"What do you mean 'the journals are gone?'" Eldon finally speaks.

"I put them in my school bag to hide them but now they're not in there." I answer although I am still frozen in place.

"Is there anywhere else you could have put it like...?" Eldon helps.

"No. No." I shake my head and start to get up, "I put them in this bag. I remember taking one out to bring to our date." I look around my room for evidence that someone has been in my room.

"Well. We still have one." Eldon puts one hand on my waist and the other on my shoulder.

"I guess. But who has the rest?" I'm really freaked.

"I have my suspicions."

Eldon doesn't have to tell me who it is, I know. Amanda.

"We need to get them back." I say as I reach for my keys that are on my night stand.

"Nooo." Eldon blocks me from the car keys, "we aren't going to do anything. Amanda can keep the journals. We have one and that's all that we need. There are plenty of secrets in this one." Eldon holds up the only journal we have left.

"Fine." I say, giving into his force.

"Okay. Good. Now, you get ready for bed and we can do something about this tomorrow." Eldon guides me towards the bathroom.

"Got it." I say then close the bathroom door.

I hear Eldon walking out of my room and closing the door. Then there are footsteps down the stairs. The sounds become more faint but I can still hear the front door open and close, then Eldon's car engine as he drives away. I wait a few minutes before I open the door to the bathroom.

I go straight to my car keys and I find a black trench coat on the ground from my recent closet explosion.

I walk down the stairs and beeline to the garage. Before I go out, I lock all the doors and windows to make sure no one will be able to come in even if they wanted to.

My car is sitting right in it's place in the garage. I run in and open the garage door. I climb into my car and back out of the crammed space.

It's dark. I've never driven so late at night before - never when I'm concious. The clock on my dashboard says it's eleven-thirty. My parents haven't called yet so that means they should be back in about twenty minutes; but I only need fifteen.

I arrive at Amanda's house. The lights are all off and there aren't any cars in the driveway. This'll give me a clean entrance.

I walk up her porch, cautiously looking behind my shoulder every few seconds to make sure no one is looking at me. The door is locked - if it weren't, I would believe it's a trap. I back away from her door and start examining the windows. They are all closed.

I try to remember what window is Amanda's. She looks over her backyard so I'll have to climb over her tall wooden fence.

As I strategize how I'm going to get over the fence, I hear someone calling my name. Instantly, I freeze.

"Emily?"

The person is standing under a street lamp about fifty yards away from me. I don't answer.

"Emily?" The person says again, this time, taking a step forward.

I sink back against the wooden door that is colder than I expected. It clangs under my weight.

"Emily."

The person starts to walk towards me in large strides.

"What are you doing here?"

Whoever the person is, has now stepped out of the light and I can see their face properly now.

"Richelle?" I ask in surprise.

"What are you doing here?" She repeats.

I think about it before answering. Richelle already knows about the journals so even if I do tell her, it won't put her in any more danger than she is already in.

"The journals. Amanda stole them from me." I say as I take a step forward to close in the big gap between Richelle and I.

She doesn't say anything.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

Richelle gives me a mad smile and says:

"I'm crazy, I can't give you a sane answer."

"You're not crazy."

"You say that phrase a lot don't you?"

I've never thought of it but once Richelle mentions it, I realize it's true.

"Yeah." I say quietly.

Richelle nods then there is nothing but silence.

"You say Amanda stole your journals?" Richelle breaks the silence.

"Not mine. Riley's. But I want them back." I say.

"Are you positive she has them?"

"Who else would want them?"

"Very true."

Richelle nods then backs out from the dark side of Amanda's house.

"Where are you going?"

"That's not important." She yells to me.

Richelle reachs the pavement then starts to walk backwards. I would tell her to be careful but there aren't any cars.

"Oh! And Emily! There are police men coming down this street on their route, don't let them catch you!" The girl walking backwards down the street calls.

Richelle starts to run, still facing the wrong way.

"Thanks." I call out as I start to make my way to my car.

"Don't give up Emily!" Richelle calls one last time then turns around and starts to run in the opposite direction of her house.

By the time I reach my car, Richelle is already gone. I hop into my - somewhat - warm vehicle then drive home.

Richelle had been right, there are police just down the street. If she hadn't warned me, I would be sharing a jail cell with Daniel by now.

I get back home and fall into bed. The second my head hits the pillow, I'm out.